Question Help with Overclocking i7-8700k

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
So after months and months of thinking I finally decided that I would switch to a Liquid/AIO cooler. I bought the H115i Pro after hearing some really good things about it and thought with this beauty, I could overclock my CPU even more.

Before When I had my air cooler the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, I had it overclocked to 4.5Ghz on 1.24v and max temps I saw on a Cinebench Run was 85c on one of the cores, After switching to the AIO I did the same run and got roughly 70-75c on the hottest core, It made me think and I decided to overclock my CPU to 4.8GHz with 1.3v, After tests and tests, I reached 83c on the hottest core(ambient temperature of the time of testing was 20c). Are these temps normal for this sort of overclock? I understand Cinebench is not a very realistic way to analyze CPU temps as it places it in a very unrealistic state.

Any advice from dropping the voltage to even just trying to get those temps a little better would be much appreciated

CPU: i7-8700K (OC to 4.8GHz with 1.3v)
GPU:MSI RTX 2070 Armour Edition 8Gb (OC 170MHz+ Core clock, 700MHz+ Memory Clock)
RAM:16Gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz
Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Cinebench is more realistic than a lot of tests.

83C is a little warm, but nothing to be concerned about with that much of an overclock. If any reduction in voltage results in instability, then I think you are at a pretty good stopping point.

Only way to improve it at this point is to run the pump/fans at full blast. De-lid the CPU. Lap (smooth out) the heatspreader/CPU block.

That is only if you are interested in getting the absolute most out of it. 4.8Ghz on 6 cores is pretty good.

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
Cinebench is more realistic than a lot of tests.

83C is a little warm, but nothing to be concerned about with that much of an overclock. If any reduction in voltage results in instability, then I think you are at a pretty good stopping point.

Only way to improve it at this point is to run the pump/fans at full blast. De-lid the CPU. Lap (smooth out) the heatspreader/CPU block.

That is only if you are interested in getting the absolute most out of it. 4.8Ghz on 6 cores is pretty good.
So I've managed to drop my voltage down to 1.26v on the exact same overclock, Noticed that my highest core temp was 80c with others nearly there with ranges from 74-78c. More than likely I wont be able to drop this down any lower at all. Any more tips from here on out? I could try 1.25v but I think that's a little ballsy XD (15 minutes after posting this I wasn't able to get 1.25GHz stable, It nearly completed a cinebench run and then blue screened)

Last edited:

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
Well, that is pretty good. You should monitor for a few days to see if it keeps working under real-world conditions and make any adjustments as necessary.
So It stopped working today no surprise at all, I had to scale it back to 4.7GHz and up the voltage to 1.27v just to get a stable overclock, the joys of owning intel.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
kinggaming60,

Ring or "Uncore" frequency has a significant effect on Core temperatures. If you're running the Ring at the same frequency as the Cores, if you instead decrease the Ring by 300MHz, it'll decrease your Core temperatures by a few degrees without having any measurable effects on CPU performance or benchmark scores.

CT :sol:

I would highly recommend de-liding the 8700k. I was in the same boat as you till i de-lidded mine. Used the rockitcool kit with their copper IHS and on Cinebench i will do mid 70's with 5.1Ghz @ 1.360v, during gaming it will stay in the mid to low 60's. This is on a Cryorig R1 ultimate cooler.

By the way what motherboard are you running on?

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
kinggaming60,

Ring or "Uncore" frequency has a significant effect on Core temperatures. If you're running the Ring at the same frequency as the Cores, if you instead decrease the Ring by 300MHz, it'll decrease your Core temperatures by a few degrees without having any measurable effects on CPU performance or benchmark scores.

Eh would you like to assist me with that please XD

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
I would highly recommend de-liding the 8700k. I was in the same boat as you till i de-lidded mine. Used the rockitcool kit with their copper IHS and on Cinebench i will do mid 70's with 5.1Ghz @ 1.360v, during gaming it will stay in the mid to low 60's. This is on a Cryorig R1 ultimate cooler.

By the way what motherboard are you running on?
I would de-lid my CPU but I am literally the clumsiest person alive so I am more afraid of ruining my CPU than I am succeeding XD

CompuTronix

Intel Master
kinggaming60,

Look in BIOS where the Core frequency is shown. You should also see the "Ring" frequency, which on some motherboards is instead called "Uncore". If your Core and Ring frequencies are both at 47, then drop your Ring frequency to 44, which will in turn drop Core temperatures by several degrees.

If you're not sure of what you're doing, then it's strongly recommended to learn how to overclock by reading at least 3 good Guides before overclocking, so as to avoid damaging your hardware. Here's a good place to start: CPU Overclocking Guide and Tutorial for Beginners.

Also, you can have your 8700K professionally delidded. Send it to Silicon Lottery. They do a great job, with quick turnaround time and a warranty. They can also "bin" it for you, where they test it to find out how much overclock capability it has. They include a report with the return packing slip which provides the settings they used to achieve your processor's overclock.

Reactions: rigg42
As you raise the multiplier, your voltage must also increase to support it.
Raising the voltage generates heat so you must cool the processor.
There is a limit as to how high voltage can be 1.4v is about tops.
The throttle point is around 100c.
If you can keep it to 85c. during a stress test, temps will be lower for normal load operations.

as of 3/22/2018
What % of I7-8700k chips can oc
at a aggressive vcore near 1.4 or so and delidded
4.9 99%
5.0 88%
5.1 54%
5.2 22%

These statistics come from silicon lottery.
They also will delid and bin your 8700K so you know what your chip can do. About $50
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=19733401272406

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
kinggaming60,

Look in BIOS where the Core frequency is shown. You should also see the "Ring" frequency, which on some motherboards is instead called "Uncore". If your Core and Ring frequencies are both at 47, then drop your Ring frequency to 44, which will in turn drop Core temperatures by several degrees.

If you're not sure of what you're doing, then it's strongly recommended to learn how to overclock by reading at least 3 good Guides before overclocking, so as to avoid damaging your hardware. Here's a good place to start: CPU Overclocking Guide and Tutorial for Beginners.

Also, you can have your 8700K professionally delidded. Send it to Silicon Lottery. They do a great job, with quick turnaround time and a warranty. They can also "bin" it for you, where they test it to find out how much overclock capability it has. They include a report with the return packing slip which provides the settings they used to achieve your processor's overclock.

So I know this will probably be a no but, is there’s any chance at all you could like contact me via discord and like help me overclock my CPU? I learn a lot better listening than I do reading XD