[SOLVED] Help with overclocking my Ryzen/AMD gaming PC?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
My PC Specs:
Ryzen 3 1200,
Asrock ITX B450 Fatal1ty motherboard
8gb ddr4 2400 mhzram crucial ballistix
Power Colour RX 570 4gb
1tb western digital blue hdd
240gb kingston ssd
silverstone sugo itx case sg13b
corsair 550 watt atx non-modular psu
1 rgb 120mm fan

I ran Aida 64 for 10 minutes prior to overclocking my cpu. I got max temps of 64 degrees Celsius at 100% system usage. I then Overclocked my CPU to 3800 ghz and 1.8750 in the voltage

The system booted fine the first time and worked but as soon as I started Aida 64 but not ran the test it froze. I restarted and tried again but the pc froze off the bat the second time so I lowered the ghz to 3700 and same voltage and it's working now with no issues. I am running Aida 64 for the past 4 minutes and it is peaking at 76 degrees Celsius. Keep in mind this is on the wraith stealth cooler with a very small ITX case.

I was thinking of getting Prime 95 and running it for a couple of hours or so. I only use my PC for gaming but my cpu and ram have been bottlnecking my GPU in games like Battlefield 1 and 5. I get really terrible performance no matter what. But other games like AC: Odyssey and Middle Earth Shadow of war get normal fps. Minecraft of all games lags a bit and I had to lower some settings otherwise it had loading issues.

Windows 10 is installed on my ssd. I also have Ethernet. And I used the drivers from the motherboard box from Asrock via usb instead of cd just copied them from off my laptop's cd drive. I also installed the AMD drivers. Now after 7 minutes my cpu is at 78 degrees. Is this normal?

How long should I test and what programs should I run? How can I best benchmark and evaluate my system temps and what should I overclock it too?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I am trying to overclock my Ryzen 3 1200 and 8gb of DDR4 2400 mhz ram but can't get a stable overclock. I reached a stable overclock at 3.5 (more like 3.49) ghz in the bios latest updates, drivers, etc. But then I tried to oc to 4 ghz and got a black screen no lights on keyboards. I removed the CMOS battery for 20 minutes and discharged the bios. Then I reconnected it and it works but it was back to the default bios settings. Now I tried to OC my ram to 3333 mhz since that was supported by my mobo all the way up to 3333 mhz ram speeds. I think. My ram is only 2400 mhz ram but I got it second hand from CeX so I am not sure if it is able to overclock or not but my system kept restarting in a loop and so I unplugged everything and took out the CMOS battery again. Now I am waiting for a bit and should be able to put it back together and hopefully it will work. But I wanted to overclock my ram, cpu, and gpu. Can I do that on a 550 watt psu or is my mobo or psu wrong? I have a Ryzen B450 ITX motherboard from Asrock and a Corsair 550 watt psu. Maybe I don't have enough watts? I am only using the stock Ryzen Wraith Stealth Cooler and an itx Silverstone SG13B case. Maybe the cooling is too bad to OC? But I read online that people managed to OC their PC's even in a tiny ITX case. I might try to reach that 3.5 ghz overclock and leave it at that. I got an extra 200 points in a Cinebench score with the stock ryzen 3 1200 being at about 1000 points. What voltage should I use and what should I OC my stuff to or should I Just not OC it? I am saving up for 16gb of 3200 mhz ram since this mobo supports that. I am also waiting to get a better CPU but my GPU is fine for now. My system struggles a bit when playing Battlefield 1 and 5 so I wanted to OC it though I use Ethernet and have an SSD, etc.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
"1.8750 in the voltage" ???? Is that true ? That's way too high !!! You must aim for no more than 1.5v and preferably no more than 1.425v if on stock cooler.
Whatever OC you can achieve within those parameters and less than 72c is that setup's limit.
I was watching a video on YouTube and they said 1.8750 volts or 1.29 for 38000 ghz. I could be wrong though. But I will try 1.425 volts and see if that works. Many thanks.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
You should read through this thread:

TRENDING THREADS