roquen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2004
I need some help!!! I'm getting a P4 3.06GHz Hyperthreading cpu but I've heared you need to do a clean install for the HT to work. As I have an OEM copy of XP on my pc, is there a way round this as I don't have an XP disc to format. Will formating from the recovery drive on my comp give the same results and get the Hyperthreading working...?

By the way, great site!

roquen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2004
Right then, I got the CPU in and all appears to be fine...

...except for the fact that half the programs I run keep throwing up errors then stop responding...! one thing, sisoft seemed to indicate that the CPU fan wasn't working but after looking inside, all is fine, at least to me. That is, it's not doing much most of the time but kicks in when I'm pushing the CPU, or when it just gets warm. Similar to the old fan really. Is this the problem do you think???
Thanks in advance!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Here's some guesses:

You upgraded from a P4A or celeron (with a 400FSB) and you have RAM unable to cope with the increased bus speed.

Your PSU was barely sufficient for your old CPU and just the extra draw of the 3.06 is enough to tip it over the edge into being insufficent.

it <i>could</i> be a heat issue, but P4s are of course supposed to cope with such things, but list your temps anyway.

If you list your system specs it's much easier to take a stab at the problem, especially:
exactly what motherboard;
exactly what RAM & how much;
Graphics card;
PSU Wattage & Manufacturer.

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

roquen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2004
ok, this is what I know...
CPU: P4 3.06GHz HT w/ FSB 533MHz (same as old P4 2.66GHz)
Mem: 1GB (2 sticks of 512mhz pc2700/333m)
Chip set: i845GE

The new fan and HS are the ones that came with the new CPU so they should be fine. As far as I can tell they are seated correctly (cliped on tightly and rock solid!) But am I right in thinking that if there was a serious problem, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this as my CPU should have melted by now...! ;)

As I said in the first post, I have heard that you should really do a clean install so that the kernal can detect the HT properly. Could this be it or am I way off???