[SOLVED] Help with pc auto shutting down

Andrew_263

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
Hey. So my brother's pc has been shutting it self off in decrecing intervals of time (shuts off quicker every time it turns back on) I checked all the fans and they are all working. He just got his hands on a 3070ti
And was working fine for about a week.
I personally think it's either overheating or psu. Also not getting BSOD it's just a shut off and back on.
His rig:
Ryzen 7 3700x (stock cooler)
Atx motherboard
3070ti
16 gb ddr4
1tb 5400 hdd ×2
550w gold psu

Solution
Ok. Let me know and we can try to move forward. For now though, it certainly looks like some kind of thermal problem but it might not be the kind you'd expect.

Rather than a problem with a CPU or graphics card overheating, it might be something like a motherboard or graphics card capacitor or other onboard integrated component that is failing and triggering protections once it heats up.

I'd really recommend bench testing the motherboard, as outlined in my guide here:

When it shuts off, do you have to turn off the switch (Or unplug it) on the back of the PSU in order to get it to restart, or are you able to just start it again normally using the power button?

If you wait longer to try and restart it, does it take longer for it to shut itself down?

What is the EXACT model of the power supply?

What is the model of the motherboard?

Does it only do this in Windows or will it do it if you go into the BIOS after you start the machine and let it sit there in the BIOS doing nothing?

Andrew_263

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
We can turn pc of with the power button no switch required

I believe it stays on longer if we let it sit. For a while pointing to an over heating issue

Haven't tried sitting in the bios so I can't confirm or deny
As for your other questions I don't know off the top of my head and will need to wait till tomorrow to find out.

Ok. Let me know and we can try to move forward. For now though, it certainly looks like some kind of thermal problem but it might not be the kind you'd expect.

Rather than a problem with a CPU or graphics card overheating, it might be something like a motherboard or graphics card capacitor or other onboard integrated component that is failing and triggering protections once it heats up.

I'd really recommend bench testing the motherboard, as outlined in my guide here:

Solution