[SOLVED] Help with PC building

Graphic_designer

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2015
Hello. I'm planning on building a pc and I wanted to know if parts mentioned below are a good combination or not.
Asus tuf gaming plus b550
amd 3600
corsair vengence pro 3200 or 3600mhz ddr4

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Solution
Here is a handy chart for sizing a psu:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

The rm series is considered top quality.
Knowing nothing else, if a psu has a 7-10 year warranty, it will usually be a safe bet.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Alright, nothing special there. For a mid-range build it is a solid core parts list, but it takes more than that to build a system.

AMD 5000 series chips available, DDR4 could go as high as 3600Mhz reliably. An argument could be made for an Intel 10th gen CPU which are competitively priced and do better in a lot of tasks compared to the R5 3600.

Motherboard is fine, supports overclocking, and up to a 16 core AMD Ryzen 5000 series chip in the future.

Graphic_designer

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2015
Alright, nothing special there. For a mid-range build it is a solid core parts list, but it takes more than that to build a system.

AMD 5000 series chips available, DDR4 could go as high as 3600Mhz reliably. An argument could be made for an Intel 10th gen CPU which are competitively priced and do better in a lot of tasks compared to the R5 3600.

Motherboard is fine, supports overclocking, and up to a 16 core AMD Ryzen 5000 series chip in the future.
The reason im inclined towards amd is the socket. With intel i feel you most likely need to upgrade the motherboard if you wanna upgrade your cpu. Do you think this is a valid reason to go for amd. Also can you please give me any recomendation for graphics card, power supply and cpu cooler. Im probably going for 1tb hdd and 500gb ssd and maybe m.2 in future.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
At this point both Intel and AMD DDR4 sockets are end of life, so the same is true of both at the moment.

Getting a B550 board now, you can just get a 5600X and call it day until your next upgrade. 16 core 5950X is possible, but were you doing that I would suggest an X570 board. 5900X is probably safer on the higher end B550 boards.

With Intel, a B560 board will let you run i5-10400F on the cheap side, or an 11600K or KF on the expensive side. (With Intel you do have the integrated graphics option more cheaply than a 5600G, or 5700G, though not as good, and the G chips are limited to 8x PCIe lanes to any graphics card)

Intel max would be an i9-10850k/10900k with 10 cores, but that high clock speed for games. 11700k is about as fast, but only 8 cores. 11900k is really not worth the price tag.

LGA1700 from Intel should be available end of this year with DDR5. AMD likely early-mid next year with Ryzen 6000 (unless they make an intermediate chip using their L4 cache stacking idea, but those may be XT CPUs like they did for the 3000 series)

LGA1718 for AM5.

Do not count on an AM4 socket to support the next gen amd processor.
You will also likely need DDR5 ram.
Your parts are ok for now.
Bit Intel similarly priced would be no different.
One plus for intel is that you get integrated graphics.
Considering the pricing of discrete graphics cards that could be big.

Early November, Alder lake will launch along with LGA1700 motherboards.
If you buy now, be prepared for buyer's remorse.
No doubt AMD will respond.

Graphic_designer

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2015
Im sorry for not replying. I just wanna ask one more thing and then im gonna mark this post. Do you think i should buy rm850 because its an old model or should i go for something else. 850w is what i need but im not sure which brand or which series i should buy.

Here is a handy chart for sizing a psu:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

The rm series is considered top quality.
Knowing nothing else, if a psu has a 7-10 year warranty, it will usually be a safe bet.

Solution