Question Help with PC freezing under certain display configurations

Perry____

Prominent
Mar 20, 2020
I've looked for similar issues/threads but nothing seemed exactly the same.

Whenever I plug my monitor into my GPU (specifically when using a Display Port to Display Port cable) my monitor doesn't detect a signal and my entire pc and monitor (all functions of the pc including shutdown shortcuts and sound and the menu system on the monitor) lock up continuously (responsive for maybe half a second every ten seconds).

This has happened before (exactly the same symptoms), last time it happened I waited a few days and took the monitor round to a friend's house using a wheeled suitcase and it worked fine. When I got back home I thought I'd just try one last time before re-seating the GPU etc. but the monitor miraculously worked fine with my own pc again so I didn't do anything further.
The monitor is possibly at fault given this and the percussive maintenance of wheeling it down the road and back fixed it somehow.
A few days after this it began to freeze again but I was able to shut it down and it booted back up with no issues.

Possibly useful harware/software info (bought in mid July 2019):
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 x
GPU: Zotac 2060 twin fan
MoBo: Aorus AMD x570 PRO
Monitor: BenQ XL2411 P

Other pertinent info/strange quirks:
The display ports on the GPU are not completely broken as a DP (GPU side) to HDMI (monitor side) adapter cable works with no issues.
The issue is persistent when booting is safe mode.
If I have a primary monitor on HDMI and plug a second one in with DP the same issue occurs and the HDMI screen also goes completely black but it does detect a signal.
Display Port 2 on the GPU doesn't have quite the same symptoms, if I do the same as above the pc doesn't freeze and windows detects a second monitor is plugged in but is unable to do anything with that monitor.
I've done a full system scan with Windows Defender and it didn't find anything.
The Monitor is under warranty (I think), I could send it out for warranty repair but it may well fix itself by the time it arrives or may take weeks to be repaired and returned given obvious reasons.
The GPU is also seemingly under warranty but I'd have to go through amazon and would probably have similar issues.

Mainly just want to find out what the culprit is most likely to be and what troubleshooting steps I can go through easily at home.

Thanks.

Perry____

Prominent
Mar 20, 2020
So it works again.
This time all I did was re-seat the gpu, so I guess it did just fix itself last time.
Still have no idea whether it's a PCI lane issue or a GPU issue or a [insert any reasonable explanation here] issue.

Latest posts