Question Help with PC freezing when RAM is in dual-channel configuration?

Sep 16, 2020
I NEED YOUR HELP: PC Freezes when running more intensive tasks only with dual channel RAM NOT Single.
  • MOBO - ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WIFI)
  • GPU - SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600 XT
  • CPU - AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz
  • PSU - EVGA - 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply
  • RAM - G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz
Issue: computer screen goes black after a couple mins into a game or if using chrome if, and only if, PC is able to start with a dual ram set-up. Single RAM runs fine.

When I first built it, the PC ran fine with no issues, but later on it started freezing and the MOBO yellow indicator would come on (DRAM indicator on this MOBO). If I only leave one ram stick in- it's stable and runs fine even under heavy processing. I previously had the RAM - XPG SPECTRIX D41 RGB Gaming Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 in there, but switched out to the G.Skill b/c it had less issues. At one point I had both in, until these issue resurfaced. What I've done to troubleshoot:
  • I ran MEMTEST86 on all sets of ram with no issues even after a handful of cycles.
  • Similar issues online suggest timing changes and voltage increases. Voltage increase didn't help and I'm not sure if i did the timing change correctly since there's way more in the BIOS than the CL-16 numbers on the stick and I don't know this stuff. I tried "DRAM calculator for Ryzen" leaving the unnamed timings as auto and the PC wouldn't boot.
  • BIOS and Chipset were updated to latest firmware
One more thing, if it freezes, it'll reboot, but only to show yellow/orange indicator. If i turn it off and unplug it and wait, it's able to boot again.

All parts are new and, just for fun, I tried a 700W PSU and the game for the first time showed an error before the freeze, but then the freeze happened a couple min later.

It's my first post and PC build, lmk if i missed some key info. I'd appreciate any help, it's really been bumming me out :/

Sep 16, 2020
I appreciate the reply, Steve! To answer your question: It is listed on the motherboard's QVL for RAMs. No XMP was enabled (honestly not sure how to do that with AMD based stuff, it was at 2400hz though). I kept on messing around with it and found that the default/optimized timings on my board were different from the recommended. It's been a lot more stable putting them to the ram's recommended. The freeze only happens on a rarity now.
this means, in case anyone else ran into a similar issue. Changing the first listings to cl16-18-18-38. I might send a pic here later since I know there more timing options than those and i have no real on what I did :).

Sep 16, 2020
I appreciate the reply, Steve! To answer your question: It is listed on the motherboard's QVL for RAMs. No XMP was enabled (honestly not sure how to do that with AMD based stuff, it was at 2400hz though). I kept on messing around with it and found that the default/optimized timings on my board were different from the recommended. It's been a lot more stable putting them to the ram's recommended. The freeze only happens on a rarity now.
this means, in case anyone else ran into a similar issue. Changing the first listings to cl16-18-18-38. I might send a pic here later since I know there more timing options than those and i have no real on what I did :).
Oh i also increased the voltage to 1.35V from the 1.2 it was at

Sep 16, 2020
I think I've tried that, but I'll give it another shot. Again, it is working fine now with the timing changes referenced earlier. So that'll be my next move if it freezes. Thanks for taking the time to think about this!