TJtheGamer

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
*My threads got merged so the beef of this thread is now a comment below the post, but this is relevant as well.

Wanted to know if these pins look normal for a LGA 1200 socket.
I did a little research, and it seems that the pins on these sockets are intended to be somewhat "bent," but I don't recall them being this bent when I first installed my CPU (although this could just be poor memory). I have been having issues with my PC suddenly not wanting to boot and was disassembling everything to breadboard the PC and hopefully diagnose an issue when I took the CPU out and saw the pins, my gut tells me that they are not bent as the CPU had been seated and working for about 2 months before my issues. But I just wanted to be sure that bent pins weren't causing my issue. Thanks for any help. Here are the pins in question:
nrCkejU.jpg

Last edited:

TJtheGamer

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
As the title of the thread suggests I am having issues with my PC suddenly not booting. I just built a new PC a little over two months ago, and it for the most part has been working great, I did have it fail to boot one other time probably around a month ago, but after messing around with the ram and reseating said ram, everything seemed to be fine. Fast forward to a couple days ago when I try to turn on my PC and it fails to boot; instead all the lights and fans turn on for a probably about a second and then turn off, and then after another second or so they turn back on for another second and they continue to do this until I turn the PSU power switch off. It is worth noting that my motherboard's post status checker's DRAM and CPU lights come on and sort of pulse along with the rest of the lights. I can't seem to find anything on ASrock's website about what the behavior of these lights coming on and blinking may mean though. I have since done all kinds of troubleshooting, going through basically everything on the pinned "PC won't boot thread," I started by trying both sticks of RAM in each slot alone in the motherboard, nothing, I trying unplugging and replugging everything in, nothing, I tried unplugging the reset switch, nothing. I then used a paperclip to run the PSU and checked with a voltmeter that everything was reading right and so decided to use my PSU to power my sisters PC and it seemed to boot fine although I did discover that there may be a bad connection or wire somewhere in my 24 pin motherboard power connector as if lightly jostled around the PC would lose power, I think great that must be my issue. I then decide to use my sister's PSU to try and power my PC, but I still have the same problem so the PSU must not be the issue. I now have only the CPU and CPU fan plugged into my motherboard with the motherboard sitting on its antistatic bag on top of its box and still get the same result, so its not a shorting issue either. I am now at a complete loss for what the issue could be, my only thought was that maybe the seemingly bad wire in the 24-pin connector of my PSU could have somehow fried my motherboard, but that doesn't seem likely to me as the PC was properly shut down the last time I used it before my issue arose. Was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on things to check and things to try to solve my issue. I do not have access to a different CPU or different motherboard to try and test each of those components of my PC on their own.
Sorry for the long read, and thanks for any help you can offer.
PC Components:
CPU: Intel i5 11400f
Motherboard: ASrock z590 pro4
PSU: Corsair RM650x (2021)
GPU: EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra
Ram: G.Skill Aegis DDR4 2133, 2x8gb
Storage: 2tb M.2 Nvme gen3 SSD & 4tb 3.5" 5400rpm HDD
Intel Wifi 6 AX200 m.2 2230 kit
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

As the title of the thread suggests I am having issues with my PC suddenly not booting. I just built a new PC a little over two months ago, and it for the most part has been working great, I did have it fail to boot one other time probably around a month ago, but after messing around with the ram and reseating said ram, everything seemed to be fine. Fast forward to a couple days ago when I try to turn on my PC and it fails to boot; instead all the lights and fans turn on for a probably about a second and then turn off, and then after another second or so they turn back on for another second and they continue to do this until I turn the PSU power switch off. It is worth noting that my motherboard's post status checker's DRAM and CPU lights come on and sort of pulse along with the rest of the lights. I can't seem to find anything on ASrock's website about what the behavior of these lights coming on and blinking may mean though. I have since done all kinds of troubleshooting, going through basically everything on the pinned "PC won't boot thread," I started by trying both sticks of RAM in each slot alone in the motherboard, nothing, I trying unplugging and replugging everything in, nothing, I tried unplugging the reset switch, nothing. I then used a paperclip to run the PSU and checked with a voltmeter that everything was reading right and so decided to use my PSU to power my sisters PC and it seemed to boot fine although I did discover that there may be a bad connection or wire somewhere in my 24 pin motherboard power connector as if lightly jostled around the PC would lose power, I think great that must be my issue. I then decide to use my sister's PSU to try and power my PC, but I still have the same problem so the PSU must not be the issue. I now have only the CPU and CPU fan plugged into my motherboard with the motherboard sitting on its antistatic bag on top of its box and still get the same result, so its not a shorting issue either. I am now at a complete loss for what the issue could be, my only thought was that maybe the seemingly bad wire in the 24-pin connector of my PSU could have somehow fried my motherboard, but that doesn't seem likely to me as the PC was properly shut down the last time I used it before my issue arose. Was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on things to check and things to try to solve my issue. I do not have access to a different CPU or different motherboard to try and test each of those components of my PC on their own.
Sorry for the long read, and thanks for any help you can offer.
PC Components:
CPU: Intel i5 11400f
Motherboard: ASrock z590 pro4
PSU: Corsair RM650x (2021)
GPU: EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra
Ram: G.Skill Aegis DDR4 2133, 2x8gb
Storage: 2tb M.2 Nvme gen3 SSD & 4tb 3.5" 5400rpm HDD
Intel Wifi 6 AX200 m.2 2230 kit
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
If you have a short in the psu may have shorted the mobo, have you also checked for bent pins in the CPU slot on the movo

TJtheGamer

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
If you have a short in the psu may have shorted the mobo, have you also checked for bent pins in the CPU slot on the movo
I looked at the CPU slot and was a little concerned because all the pins seemed to be bent, but after doing some more research on what the pins for a lga 1200 socket normally look like it seems they are supposed to have some bend to them. Regardless I posted another thread asking about the pins as I don't know enough about the sockets to know for sure, so there is now an image of the pins of my motherboard above that you can look at as my 2 threads got merged into one.
As for the PSU it doesn't seem to be a short per say, but rather it just seems with some light jostling it loses connection somewhere and stops providing power, if that makes sense. But still I do worry it could have affected the motherboard, is there any way to test my motherboard and CPU without another known working motherboard or CPU?
Thanks.

I looked at the CPU slot and was a little concerned because all the pins seemed to be bent, but after doing some more research on what the pins for a lga 1200 socket normally look like it seems they are supposed to have some bend to them. Regardless I posted another thread asking about the pins as I don't know enough about the sockets to know for sure, so there is now an image of the pins of my motherboard above that you can look at as my 2 threads got merged into one.
As for the PSU it doesn't seem to be a short per say, but rather it just seems with some light jostling it loses connection somewhere and stops providing power, if that makes sense. But still I do worry it could have affected the motherboard, is there any way to test my motherboard and CPU without another known working motherboard or CPU?
Thanks.
Only real way would be take to a technician

TRENDING THREADS