Feb 14, 2020
My pc spec is as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
2x 4 GB DDR4 3000 Mhz
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX motherboard
Crucial P1 1TB 3D NVMe SSD
MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8GB OC GPU
Thermaltake 550 watt PSU

Everything was working fine until a couple of days ago and now it won't POST. The fans spin, the RGB lights up but no signal on the monitor no noise from the motherboard speaker.

The motherboard has 4 LEDs marked EZ Debug and CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot. As far as I can figure out as the motherboard self tests each of the LEDs is supposed to light up in turn and if any of the four things fail it will get stuck on that led. If I remove everything apart from motherboard and CPU then as expected it gets as far as the DRAM LED stops and beeps.

If I then add in some RAM and boot up, the first debug LED, marked CPU, lights up and then goes out again and then nothing. The documentation for the EZ Debug LEDs on the MSI website doesn't describe what this particular behaviour is supposed to mean. As far as I can tell it's supposed to light each LED until all 4 are lit or it gets stuck because something has failed. Giving up after the first LED isn't mentioned.

I have tried both DIMMs in the correct slots, only one DIMM in the correct slot, with each DIMM separately, and even one DIMM in the wrong slot. It doesn't make any difference.

If it's the RAM that is at fault it appears both DIMMs have failed in exactly the same way. If it's the motherboard then it only fails after the RAM is inserted and the fault is causing the self diagnostic itself to fail.

I don't have any spare parts to try swapping anything out.

Everything is new enough that I can get it replaced under warranty but if I can't figure out exactly what has failed I don't know what to return.

If anybody can help me diagnose this it would be much appreciated.

Solution
This is why I want a newer mobo w/LED that shows codes. Don't believe it's the PSU or need to re-seat anything else. Definitely think it points to the mobo. I'll monitor other responses but only thing I can think of is try a reset of the bios but I can't get the manual to open to find out how.

Hope you find out it's an easy solution as I'm also a B450M user.

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
This is why I want a newer mobo w/LED that shows codes. Don't believe it's the PSU or need to re-seat anything else. Definitely think it points to the mobo. I'll monitor other responses but only thing I can think of is try a reset of the bios but I can't get the manual to open to find out how.

Solution
Feb 14, 2020

Thanks your advice, resetting the BIOS seems to have resurrected it. Now if I can just figure out how to mark this thread as "solved"...