Help with PC Upgrade

Sergioq27

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Hey guys, just wanted a little bit of help here.

My current build is:

Processor: amd fx 8350
Mobo: asus m5a78l-m lx plus
GPU: AMD radeon r7 240

So im looking to upgrade the mobo and the gpu.

I was analyzing options and the ones that I can afford are:

Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming
and
GPU: Zotac GTX 960 4GB AMP edition

So my questions are:

1. Are these good picks?
2. What should I upgrade first? Mobo or GPU

My budget right now is like $240 so I need to buy one first, then save money and then buy the another one.

Thanks in advance :D

Solution
I presume you want to upgrade the m/b because you want to OC the FX-8350. Because there's nothing wrong with the Asus board other than not being great for OC'ing.
For the price, the MSI 970 Gaming is a decent choice. Although, it seems to have issues with getting a really high OC if that is important. But it is indeed safe to OC with, and otherwise a fine board.
The gfx card should be fine. If instant gratification is important, go with the card first. You won't need to OC the FX-8350 to keep up with the GTX 960. At 1080p, you should be able to play most games at max or near max settings.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I presume you want to upgrade the m/b because you want to OC the FX-8350. Because there's nothing wrong with the Asus board other than not being great for OC'ing.
For the price, the MSI 970 Gaming is a decent choice. Although, it seems to have issues with getting a really high OC if that is important. But it is indeed safe to OC with, and otherwise a fine board.
The gfx card should be fine. If instant gratification is important, go with the card first. You won't need to OC the FX-8350 to keep up with the GTX 960. At 1080p, you should be able to play most games at max or near max settings.

Solution

Sergioq27

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Thank you so much, I was looking to improve the mb because I read in another thread that it is a bad mb and that it would cause a bottleneck, I will buy the GPU first and then look forward to upgrade the mb!

Thanks for the reply :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing wrong with that m/b that would require you to upgrade it as long as you don't plan on OC'ing the FX-8350. That board is not bottlenecking you. It is designed to support the 125W FX-8350: http://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/M5A78L-M%20LX%20PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/

Spend your money on the best gxf card your PSU supports and enjoy faster gaming with better graphics.

Sergioq27

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Ohh I see! Well thanks again man! :D