[SOLVED] Help with picking an RGB RAM for 3950x, and should I care if it's not B-Die?

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Hi all,
Every 4 or 5 years I put a new PC together for myself. This time I have chosen Asus CH VIII Wifi mobo with AMD 3950x processor. As for RAM, first I chose (and bought) the Corsair Vengeance Pro [ CMW32GX4M23200C16] 3200MHz / CL16. without much thought. Then, I came to realize almost every thread I read or YT video I watched, in it they used Trident Z RGB (I want RGB RAM). That got me curious. On top of that, then, I got introduced to the whole Samsung B-Die chips 'adoration.' Now three questions:

A. Does it matter if the RAM is not B-Die, if I am not into overclocking things to the max?
B. Why do most go with Trident Z RGB over Vengeance RGB Pro? (Is it just a matter preference or G.Skill is just plain and simple better?)
C. Does it matter whether the Trident Z is the Neo version or Not, if I don't mind doing some BIOS tweaking myself?

As a side note, I know - more or less - with most RAMs, I have to either go with a CAS latency of 14, or higher clock speeds than 3200MHz as to get Samsung's B-Die chips. Unfortunately, where I live , so far I haven't been able to find either. Many Thanks.

Solution
Hi all,
Every 4 or 5 years I put a new PC together for myself. This time I have chosen Asus CH VIII Wifi mobo with AMD 3950x processor. As for RAM, first I chose (and bought) the Corsair Vengeance Pro [ CMW32GX4M23200C16] 3200MHz / CL16. without much thought. Then, I came to realize almost every thread I read or YT video I watched, in it they used Trident Z RGB (I want RGB RAM). That got me curious. On top of that, then, I got introduced to the whole Samsung B-Die chips 'adoration.' Now three questions:

A. Does it matter if the RAM is not B-Die, if I am not into overclocking things to the max?
B. Why do most go with Trident Z RGB over Vengeance RGB Pro? (Is it just a matter preference or G.Skill is just plain and simple...
Hi all,

B. Why do most go with Trident Z RGB over Vengeance RGB Pro? (Is it just a matter preference or G.Skill is just plain and simple better?)
C. Does it matter whether the Trident Z is the Neo version or Not, if I don't mind doing some BIOS tweaking myself?

As a side note, I know - more or less - with most RAMs, I have to either go with a CAS latency of 14, or higher clock speeds than 3200MHz as to get Samsung's B-Die chips. Unfortunately, where I live , so far I haven't been able to find either. Many Thanks.
That Ryzen can work with 4000MHz and higher RAm, 3200MHz Cl 14 is a joke for it and practically any RAM would work at that speed. Like with most CPUs of latest generations, only MB and it's BIOS may limit those fast frequencies. 3600MHz RAM even at Cl16 is a sweet spot, far better than 3200 at Cl14.

Solution

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
That Ryzen can work with 4000MHz and higher RAm, 3200MHz Cl 14 is a joke for it and practically any RAM would work at that speed. Like with most CPUs of latest generations, only MB and it's BIOS may limit those fast frequencies. 3600MHz RAM even at Cl16 is a sweet spot, far better than 3200 at Cl14.
I absolutely agree. It's not a matter of choice. But that what is available to me.