[SOLVED] Help with plugging in 9 fans

Nov 13, 2020
Hi all,

I will be building a PC soon in the O11 Dynamic. I have an ASUS X570-Pro and will be getting 3 fans from the Lian-Li Galahad AIO and 6 Alpenfohn Wing Boost 3 (120mm) fans. I need help figuring out the best way to connect these to the motherboard in a way that doesn't short it.

I was thinking of getting the Silverstone CPF04 1-to-8 PWN Fan Hub to simplify the fans itself. Otherwise, I'd be using splitters.

The mobo has the CPU OPT and CPU fan headers (I assume I will use a splitter for the 3 Lian-Li AIO fans).

It then has 3 chassis fan connectors. I was thinking of using 1 to 2/3 PWM fan splitters to connect the other 6 fans or otherwise use a fan hub.

I'm also unsure about the ARGB and RGB connections. Mainly, they will all be set to white but would like for it all to be customisable through Aura Sync. Is the best way to just connect it with 4-1 splitters? The mobo has 2 RGB headers (4pin) and 1 ARGB header (3pin).

Thanks for any advice.

Solution
I prefer the hub, because I feel more secure having it powered with SATA instead of trying to draw it all from the motherboard. I'm not sure what the biggest splitter is, think the biggest I saw was a 1 to 5, so depending on how many of your fans have RGB you might have to connect another splitter into one of the splitters.

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like you'll also need an ARGB hub. I have this one that came with a set of UpHere fans. I have 6 ARGB case fans, 2 non-RGB radiator fans, and the ARGB from the AIO pump all connected to it. Then it's just 2 wires to the motherboard (one 4 pin fan and one 3 pin ARGB), and everything synchs to Aura.

Nov 13, 2020
Sounds like you'll also need an ARGB hub. I have this one that came with a set of UpHere fans. I have 6 ARGB case fans, 2 non-RGB radiator fans, and the ARGB from the AIO pump all connected to it. Then it's just 2 wires to the motherboard (one 4 pin fan and one 3 pin ARGB), and everything synchs to Aura.
Thanks, so a fan hub and an RGB hub then it'll just be the 2 sata's powering it and the 2 hub's wires connected to the mobo. Would a fan hub go into the CPU_FAN section?

Is it not possible to do just splitters or is it better to use the hubs?

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I prefer the hub, because I feel more secure having it powered with SATA instead of trying to draw it all from the motherboard. I'm not sure what the biggest splitter is, think the biggest I saw was a 1 to 5, so depending on how many of your fans have RGB you might have to connect another splitter into one of the splitters.

Solution
Nov 13, 2020
Thanks Brad, I think I'll buy a 1-8 PWM Fan and ARGB hub. This should cover 8 of the rgb fans and I'll just have 1 fan plugged into a standard RGB header and chassis fan header.

Nov 13, 2020
Definitely get a hub, with that many fans you will overload any header you have onboard using a splitter.
Thanks Jason,

I'm having trouble finding a suitable ARGB hub to connect the 6 Alpenfohn fans to. Would any standard ARGB fan hub work or are they proprietary e.g. silverstone's CPL02-E. Then the standard 3 RGB fans can go to a header via splitter.

In regard to the fans, I'm likely going to get the Silverstone 1-8 Hub - Does it matter that it's not Silverstone branded fans? Then that leaves one fan into a chassis fan header.