Help with Potential Build Upgrade Due to High CPU Temps.

Rickyv1996

Prominent
May 30, 2017
What's up guys so I have a bit of a problem and I'm not to sure if its something I can fix without upgrading hardware or if that is something is necessary.

I posted this on reddit and wanted to see if I could get some feedback from you guys as well so I'm going to copy and paste the post.

"So, I built my first PC about two years ago without really taking into account potential CPU temperatures amongst other potential problems (bottlenecks). I planned to gradually upgrade but again never really considered heat to be a potential issue.

My build at the time and for the most part still is:

Raven RVZ01 Mini ITX case

i7 4790k

Gigabyte GA Z97N

16GB Ram

128GB SSD

1TB 7200 rpm HDD

GTX 750 ti

I didn't really monitor CPU temps (except on first boot) until few weeks after putting it together. That's when I noticed that it would idle around 40-50C and jump up to around 70-80C when doing semi-intensive/intensive things. I've upgraded the case fans and I clean out the dust every few weeks and that helps bring down to about 30 but after a few days it jumps back up to 40-50C. I replaced the stock intel heatsink with a Cryorig C7 but I'm pretty much getting the same performance. Again it was fine for a few days, about a week this time, and then it went back to "normal".

Do I need to buy a larger case with more space that will allow for better air flow and heat dispersion?

I was thinking of getting a NZXT S340. Anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any help. Thank you.

P.S - GPU Idles at 30 (20-30 when new) and jumps up to 80 when performing intensive tasks."

I really appreciate any help or insight you guys can provide. Thank you!

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo Rickyv1996

Have you overclocked that CPU ever? Maybe the voltage is just too high on it. you could try and dial it down a tad, and see if that would make any significant difference.
The case might have something to do with the temps, but it might as well not. Have tried taking off the side panel with the CPU doing intensive work in the background, and noticed any temp difference? If so, it's definitely the case.
Otherwise I'd say give it a good clean, as you've already done. Check the voltage on the CPU, and make sure that the case isn't the bottleneck here.
Cheers

Rickyv1996

Prominent
May 30, 2017

No, I've never overclocked it. How would I go about making sure I have the proper voltage as in not too low or even checking to see if its too high now? Is there a specs sheet for CPU voltages?

I will definitely take off the side panel and see how that goes, can't believe I never thought of that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016

Alright then. Go into your BIOS/UEFI and check under advanced settings, or something along those lines. Here you'll find voltages for the different parts of the system ei. RAM and CPU. I'd say if the CPU voltage is 1.2v or over, it's too much since you're not overclocking. You can fiddle around with it if you'd like. If you go too low the PC won't last long in a stressed involvement, and will crash afterwards. Just bump up the voltage again then.

Rickyv1996

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Ok so the CPU Vcore was set to 1.104v and the VRIN was set to 1.800, both were on auto. I lowered the Vcore to 1.000 and the VRIN to 1.600 and nothing changed. I'm still idling at around 50C. I'll try out the open case next.

Rickyv1996

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Ok, I'm using my PC with the case open and its about 8-7C cooler its idling around 42-43C. I booted a game and it ended up at 64-65C where its normally at 68-72C. The temps also seem to hover closer to 42-43 where as with the case on it has a bit of a wider range of CPU temps (48-52/53C). It's still a bit warm. I'd rather it be around 30 idle but maybe my rooms ambient temperatures have something to do with it, I don't know.

At this point I'm not to sure what it could be exactly. The open case cools it a bit but its still somewhat hot for my liking.