Help With Power supply

lewis_37

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
Im building my pc at this moment and im struggling with my power supply as it has no 6 pin connector for my graphics card, and no 8 pin connector for the motherboard,
My parts as listed,
MSI 970a Sli Krait Edition
Radeon r7 360
AMD FX 6300
Thermaltake Universal 3.0 water cooling
Hyper Fury 8gb ram

Will i need to buy a new power supply? or can i buy adapters for the PSU?
Thanks!

Solution
In general, GPU power adapters are not a good idea. That said, you forgot to include the PSU.

If I were getting a PSU for that build, I'd go with a Corsair RM650x or EVGA G2/G3 650. If that's not in the budget, consider the Seasonic S12II 630.
In general, GPU power adapters are not a good idea. That said, you forgot to include the PSU.

If I were getting a PSU for that build, I'd go with a Corsair RM650x or EVGA G2/G3 650. If that's not in the budget, consider the Seasonic S12II 630.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
While he's using an FX CPU, he's using a lower end 360 GPU. A 450W-550W will be more then enough. Even if he upgrades his GPU.

If your PSU doesn't have any PCIe plugs, or even the 8pin plug for the board, you need a new PSU. I wouldn't try using adapters.

Agreed, 450W would be sufficient. I suggested those specific models because they're known to be very high quality (Corsair and EVGA models), or the same/lower price compared to lower output models (Seasonic).

lewis_37

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017

Would any of you be able to link a few please?

4745454b

Titan
My attempt to explain why 650W units are usually bad. First, in many cases they lack the power for higher end CF/SLI. If you want to SLI the 1080, that's 400W for just the cards. Add in a CPU and system and you are looking at 525W+. This is already close to 80%, and if the cards need more than 200W each or you want to OC things you might not have the plugs needed to run them, or you'll be pushing the PSU over 80% output which most (including me.) don't suggest. Second, from the links nerd389 provided, there is a $15 difference between the 550 and the 650W unit. ($90 vs 105.) This is where the math starts to come in and you need to look at efficiency.

At idle or watching netflix/surfing the normal power draw for just about all systems is very low, 80-100W. If you have a 500W PSU then you know you'll be using ~20%, so you also know you have to be getting 82%+ efficiency. This isn't true with a 650W PSU. 100W is <20%, and unless you have a titanium PSU there are no 80, 82, etc percent requirements. This means not only do you spend an extra $15 at the purchase of the PSU, you will possibly be spending more money than needed while doing most tasks unless you can get the idle draw above 20%.

If a 650W can provide the power you need then great. But from what I've seen either a 500-550 for a single GPU is whats needed, or a 750W for a CF/SLI setup. If you are running some odd/crazy setup, or shooting for larger than normal OCs then I can see why a 650 might be needed. But honestly for most people the 650W units are odd ducks that get no love from me.