Help with power.

CrayZ_

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
So i have a question my GPU died recently (Zotac gtx 950 amp) and i am planing on buying a new one (Msi gtx 1050 ti), but i dont know if my PSU is sufficient. I have some unknow PSU; SENTEY 650W BXP65-OR. Could this power supply shortened my GPU life span? I never really had any issues with it apart from that every time i shut down my pc the lights stay on and fans keep spinning as if it were hibernating.

My PSU:
_ec503b21a601283f3fa691e6ae7a3211-png.jpg

Recommend power for the gtx 1050 ti with my components:
_ccdd86ae5b38ffdb4ca834b3086992a1-png.jpg

My PC:
- Intel Core I7 3770 ivy bridge 3.4 GHz
- 16Gb of DDR3 1333Mhz ram
- Asus P8H61 -M LX3 R2.0
- Zotac GTX 950 AMP! 2GB
- SENTEY 650W BXP65-OR
- 1.5 TB harddrive
- SSD samsung evo 850 250 gb

PS: if it is compatible could i put a fx 470 in it or would that be going overboard?

Solution

Yeah tbh i feel pretty anxious, but after alot of reasearch, i feel alot better. After seeing an i7-6700 and a EVGA 1050 ti (sure its not a six pin but still) get a total of 144w on all of the top trending games, was a prebuilt with a 350w psu and it did fine.
Anyway thanks for all the advice!
Normally, it's best to get a PSU with some degree of safety factor regarding output capacity. I aim for 10-20% at least.

The fact that it can draw more power on the 12V line than the PSU can supply should be a red flag. You should have at least some safety factor on all rails.

That logic only holds if the minor rails are generated from the 12V rail. That's probably not the case with this PSU.

That said, the combined power output of the PSU is about 320 watts. You are correct in that it's not a 650 watt PSU.

Finally, Sentey isn't a bad brand. Some of their PSUs are tier 2. That said, I would never purchase this model, to be sure.

It's not just the 12 volt rail that determines the PSU Wattage capability, it's all the positive rails combined, so your PSU is approx 300w. That said, you need to focus on how the power is divided across the different voltages, and know that the most draw (CPU and externally powered GPU) use the 12 volt rail. I wouldn't risk that PSU on my stuff.
Get yourself a decent 500 watt unit, and use this list to help you find GOOD:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

CrayZ_

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

Thanks for you respons it was of great help, i was just wondering if i could get away with it. I'm not in a great financial situation so spending money on a new PSU is really the last thing i would like to do, plus everything electronical in my country costs alot more. My thought proces befor posting was "well it worked for my gtx 950 which demands more power this card so i should be fine" if i could i would use this card for 2 month and then buying a new PSU. Is that a viable option or nay?

CrayZ_

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

Thanks for the usefull imput! Dont really wana get my self a new psu but if it's really what i have to do then dont have much of a choice...

I agree that the 1050 ti draws a little less and therefore you should be fine, but know that you've also maybe been somewhat lucky. The idea of a 300 watt PSU for an i7 and a GTX 1050ti is still kinda scary. It may not be a horrible PSU, but it doesn't leave you a lot of overhead. I'd be anxious to upgrade it.

CrayZ_

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

Yeah tbh i feel pretty anxious, but after alot of reasearch, i feel alot better. After seeing an i7-6700 and a EVGA 1050 ti (sure its not a six pin but still) get a total of 144w on all of the top trending games, was a prebuilt with a 350w psu and it did fine.
Anyway thanks for all the advice!

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Yes it is a bad brand and only has one PSU on tier 2 that is made by Super Flower.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/The-Dummys-Guide-to-Power-Supplies-34/