[SOLVED] Help with PSU for RTX 3080 Ti ?

Solution
The second one is an excellent PSU. In the curated PSU tier list housed here, it's a Tier A.

This was the old EVGA manufacturer, but the relationship died off in the early days of the tariffs. I'd take it over any EVGA PSU made today, which are mostly Andyson and FSP. No outdated topology here. I use a non-RGB version in my main rig with a 3080 and I'm very fussy about my PSUs.

I would definitely not use the XFX here. Good PSU, but a decade old now and higher power members of the 3000 series GPUs are notoriously fussy about old topologies thanks to being a bit power spikey, leading to issues with even some SeaSonic Focus PSUs and some otherwise...
May 7, 2021
Thankyou very much, for the quick asnwer. And another question if im wrong and the 6 pin are of 150w each instead of 75w wil i ended up burning the gpu for th extra wattagge or im thinking nonsens

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Thankyou very much, for the quick asnwer. And another question if im wrong and the 6 pin are of 150w each instead of 75w wil i ended up burning the gpu for th extra wattagge or im thinking nonsens
No the power from PSU is potential energy so you could have 2000watts on tap, but the GPU will only draw from it what it wants/needs.

6pin can't be 150W, otherwise we would use them instead of 8pin. Even if they were, combining them with the adapter won't force the GPU to draw 300W from them. It doesn't work that way.

As @Gam3r01 said, that particular adapter is the only I am willing to accept in a system. But, you clearly have the money for a 3080ti, you certainly can afford a decent psu to support you expensive hardware. Your current PSU is a "Tier C • Recommended for cheap mid/low-end systems " in this list and for that gpu I wouldn't even think going below tier A.

3080 and 3090 have huge power spikes and even some new and modern PSUs fail with them. I suspect that will be the case with the 3080ti as well.

May 7, 2021
i currently have a GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G and no problem at all, but i supose is a complete diferent story for a gpu like rtx 3080ti.
Would this PSU suffice https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GA-0850-X1, or this one https://www.amazon.com/-/es/ventilador-silencioso-alimentación-SF-850F14RG-V2-0/dp/B08BK12VFT/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 that somefriend just told me was the old evga manufacter ,so what would you recommend(preferably from amazon). sorry for the late reply.

or maybe just buy a rtx 3070ti would better suited for my current gpu.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
The second one is an excellent PSU. In the curated PSU tier list housed here, it's a Tier A.

This was the old EVGA manufacturer, but the relationship died off in the early days of the tariffs. I'd take it over any EVGA PSU made today, which are mostly Andyson and FSP. No outdated topology here. I use a non-RGB version in my main rig with a 3080 and I'm very fussy about my PSUs.

I would definitely not use the XFX here. Good PSU, but a decade old now and higher power members of the 3000 series GPUs are notoriously fussy about old topologies thanks to being a bit power spikey, leading to issues with even some SeaSonic Focus PSUs and some otherwise competent midrange PSUs that use certain topologies.

Solution
Please don't use adapters on a psu if you're looking to put a 2500 usd card in your pc... Buy a proper psu with 3/4 pcie slots.
Every one in this forum is against using adapters. Many threads about it. The ONLY acceptable is the one that combines 2 x 6pin to a single 8 pin as it's the exact same power delivery. Of course that only goes for a GPU that is not so power hungry in the end.

May 7, 2021
Ok guys i went to the store to buy the new psu super flower leadex III rgb 850w (what a mouthfull ,it reminded me of super street fighter alpha super turbo edition) ,is goin to arrive next week, i hope is enough power for the 3080ti an future 4000 series, thanks guys for your help