Question Help with PSU modular molex cable not working right.

BoB_The_PC_Builder

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
Hey guys long time pc builder this is my first time getting a semi modular PSU I bought it off a friend it worked fine in the first PC I put it in, it only needed 1 molex for a fan but then I upgraded to a new PSU so i decided to use the old one on an older system I had and that one has 4 devices that use molex for power this PSU is a Shark tech 1200 watt semi modular PSU and uses 2 modular cables 1 is 4 split sata and other is 4 molex the sata works fine for the hard drivers but the molex only powers the fan, the cold cathode light have a very dim brightness and the temp and fan control display wont even turn on, CD drive doesn't work either that one I'm using a molex to sata adapter. I have tried switching all the cables around, trying one device pretty much every combo I can think of to test and nothing I even ordered a different molex cable thinking the cable was defective but the new one does the same thing.

Hey guys long time pc builder this is my first time getting a semi modular PSU I bought it off a friend it worked fine in the first PC I put it in, it only needed 1 molex for a fan but then I upgraded to a new PSU so i decided to use the old one on an older system I had and that one has 4 devices that use molex for power this PSU is a Shark tech 1200 watt semi modular PSU and uses 2 modular cables 1 is 4 split sata and other is 4 molex the sata works fine for the hard drivers but the molex only powers the fan, the cold cathode light have a very dim brightness and the temp and fan control display wont even turn on, CD drive doesn't work either that one I'm using a molex to sata adapter. I have tried switching all the cables around, trying one device pretty much every combo I can think of to test and nothing I even ordered a different molex cable thinking the cable was defective but the new one does the same thing.

First off, you need to be told that Shark Technology PSUs are absolute garbage and are slowly killing all of your parts.

Second: Are you sure the Molex cable you're using is one that came with the Shat Technology PSU? Because modular cable pinouts are NOT universal.

BoB_The_PC_Builder

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
First off, you need to be told that Shark Technology PSUs are absolute garbage and are slowly killing all of your parts.

Second: Are you sure the Molex cable you're using is one that came with the Shat Technology PSU? Because modular cable pinouts are NOT universal.
yea heard there not the best but got it for 20 so just though I'd try it. no not sure on that yea looking back the new one i had ordered wasn't compatible didn't know they dont all work for any modular psu but cant find one online that is for shark so thinking i can just sure a spliter adaptor on the sata cable that does work.

yea heard there not the best but got it for 20 so just though I'd try it. no not sure on that yea looking back the new one i had ordered wasn't compatible didn't know they dont all work for any modular psu but cant find one online that is for shark so thinking i can just sure a spliter adaptor on the sata cable that does work.

You need to send the Shat Technology PSU back and get something decent before you fry all of your parts.

You really think $20 is a good deal for a PSU? It isn't when you lose $500 worth of parts.

BoB_The_PC_Builder

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
You need to send the Shat Technology PSU back and get something decent before you fry all of your parts.

You really think $20 is a good deal for a PSU? It isn't when you lose $500 worth of parts.
well cant send it back I got it off a friend from work like 10 months ago. Had it in my main system this whole time worked fine for what i needed but then upgraded to a Gamdias Kratos so moved the shark to my home pc witch had a 10 year old Lepa psu in it with not enough gpu connectors. I will definitely try to replace it when i get the chance and money now that I know its such a bad brand but for now was just to see why it has the problem with the molex.