[SOLVED] Help with purchasing RGB components

fchopin

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Hi, looking for some advice; my son has started gaming and is using a very outdated machine. I upgraded myself about a year ago and want to essentially give him my old rig, but with a new case and some other components. He really digs the NZXT H510 Elite case, my old hardware that would go into it includes a Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 mobo, GTX 970 Strix, G.SKILL PC3 12800. This stuff should be fine for what he's playing, however the current old brass Zalman CPU fan, while functional, isn't exactly a tempered glass showpiece.

Basically I'm looking to get either an RGB rad or regular air cooler, maybe an RGB system fan or 2, and possibly an RGB strip or 2. Pretty sure that Asrock mbo is before RGB controllers were a thing, so I"m guessing I'd need an RGB hub of some sort. I have a lot of PC building experience, but am admittedly lacking in all things RGB, as that doesn't matter to me, however my son being 10, it's pretty much his main concern:rolleyes:

I dont want to spend crazy amount of money on this, but just want to be sure whatever RGB components there are work together/sync and don't know enough about them to successfully pick stuff out to make that happen. I suspect RGB has come a long way since it came out and maybe most things would work together? but wanted to ask and be sure before making any purchases. If someone can guide me w/info and/or suggestions of what to buy to fulfill what i'm trying to do would appreciate it!

Solution
Your really going to need a remote and controller or a controller that can work with a case reset switch.

Your board only has a connector for a LED strip. RGB was not really a thing back then.

fchopin

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks for the reply...I can't find any reference to Aura sync in the specs on this mobo, pretty sure it's before RGB became any sort of standard ..but i know the case will run me around $150, figure around $100ish for CPU cooling, maybe $15ish per fan (maybe more forRGB not sure), and probably another $20 per RGB strip? Also assuming I'll have to get an RGB hub, no clue for the cost there but can't imagine they're more than $30.. is that reasonable? i dont really keep up w/ part prices, particularly RGB stuff. He doesn't need top of the line but I also won't buy crap..torn on the CPU cooling not really sure what i can get for money, was going to wait and see what people suggested to look, not in particular rush other than the boy's impatience...thanks again

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
you can buy this cooler, and get the cpu cooler stuff over with.

the case comes with 2 rgb fans, and an rgb strip inside at the top of the inside of the case.

most of these will attatch straight into your motherboard, but i cant find the specs online, so just make sure you have enough headers on the mobo, and you won't need a fan hub.

for the two back fans, you can get the same ones as the ones in the front, or replace all of them