Question Help with RAM for AM5 ?

Apr 15, 2023
Hello All

Building a new am5 system but I am a little confused when it comes to ram. Can anyone advise which of the two is better (they are both the same price)? I’m picking from these two as they are refurbished and are available at a good price.

Kingston Fury Renegade Silver Memory 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5/6000mhz

DDR5-6000 CL32 288-Pin DIMM Kit

CL(IDD) 40 cycles
Row Cycle Time (tRCmin) 48ns(min.)
Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFCmin) 295ns(min.)
Row Active Time (tRASmin) 32ns(min.)

Corsair Vengeance RGB Memory 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5/6000mhz

Tested Latency 40-40-40-77

Tested Voltage 1.35V

Tested Speed 6000

SPD Latency 40-40-40-77

SPD Speed 4800MHz

Speed Rating PC5-48000 (DDR5-6000)

Also, I was told that am5 does not work to well when all ram slots are populated i.e. 64GB ram is still a bad idea, is this true or was this just an early issue for some motherboards?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd avoid refurbished items since there might be an inherent issue with the kits and were returned by an end user and the store can't find anything wrong with them. Instead of sending them to the brand, they're offloading inventory at a cheaper price(since it's cheaper that way).

If you're still going to move forward with the ram purchase, I'd pick the Corsair ram kit. make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to enabling X.M.P.

It's not just AM5, 13th Gen has trouble working with high frequency sticks of ram with all slots populated. DDR5 isn't entirely refined nor are the DDR5 platforms. Give it one or two more generations and a plethora of BIOS updates to resolve the issue on that arena. You could go with a 2x32GB kit at DDR5-6200MHz but a lower frequency would help you out, with compatibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnapU
Apr 15, 2023
Thanks for the info!

Can you help me understand why the Corsair Vengeance ram is better than the Kingston Fury ram sticks? I find it all a little confusing particularly because the specs seem to be giving different information.

On AM5 how much slower do you think I would need to go in order to populate all four slots: 5200mhz or 5600mhz?

My best advice is to buy a ram kit that is explicitly supported on your motherboard with the desired cpu. If the exact ram kit is on the motherboard ram qvl list for your processor, then good.
Not all ram will be on the list.
Kingston and corsair have ram configurators.
If the exact ram part number shows up on their list, then good, you are supported.
Both Corsair and Kingston will have lifetime warranties so buying used/reconditioned may be ok.
But, I would be hesitant to buy either, They were returned for a reason that may not be good.

Best to ask for advice BEFORE you buy.

What you bought will probably work OK.

The simple way to set the ram is to use the EXPO process.
That loads the settings directly from the ram if they are available.
Failing that, the motherboard will find a default setting that lets you boot into the bios.
In the event that there is difficulty getting the ram to work at the advertised speeds, you may have to set those specs yourself in the ram section of the bios.
This may include setting ram voltage a bit higher than what shows on the sticks themselves.

New gen motherboards will often have frequent bios updates, many to improve ram compatibility.
Get current on bios before anything.

When done test your ram.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.