Help with RAM upgrade

Turtle_4

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Hello guys,

I have had this laptop for the last 2 years and I was wanting to upgrade my laptops ram, I have watched a few youtube videos on it but my lack of knowledge and experience of actually what to do is off putting as i don't want to do something wrong and mess up my laptop as I need it. I have a Ge62 2QF Apache pro the specs are:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Nvidia GTX970M

I have contacted MSI support on the issue and they said this,

Your laptop supports:
DDR3L,up to 1600 MHz, slot *2, max 16GB

So Id like some advice on if i should hand it into a pc shop and let someone who knows what to do go at it or should I do it myself at home?

Thanks.

Solution
That one should work perfectly.

If you're replacing the old one. It's always better to go for dual channel
Meaning 2x8Gb instead of 1x16Gb or 2x16Gb if you're motherboard supports it (check laptop website specs for maximum RAM support). Think of it this way, you're splitting the work into two workers instead of one, which is always more efficient. Although keep in mind that this does not mean 2x the same stick, they are usually dedicated RAM that comes in a single pack of 2 sticks. If you just get 2x the same RAM that are individually in their own boxes, you will be running 2 singke channels, which is better than one single RAM stick
Changing RAM is the easiest thing to change along with a HDD or SSD. You simply need to open your laptop, locate the RAM sticks, pull out the old ones, and slot in the new ones. Good as new.

By doing this you'll be able to save up some money and invest in even better RAM.

That one should work perfectly.

If you're replacing the old one. It's always better to go for dual channel
Meaning 2x8Gb instead of 1x16Gb or 2x16Gb if you're motherboard supports it (check laptop website specs for maximum RAM support). Think of it this way, you're splitting the work into two workers instead of one, which is always more efficient. Although keep in mind that this does not mean 2x the same stick, they are usually dedicated RAM that comes in a single pack of 2 sticks. If you just get 2x the same RAM that are individually in their own boxes, you will be running 2 singke channels, which is better than one single RAM stick

Solution