Aug 27, 2022
Hi all, I wana upgrade my ram to 128GB, currently i have 64GB...I have few queries regarding CPU and MOTHERBOARD.......

MY RIG:
Processor : i7-8700K
Motherboard : Asus Z390-F ROG STRIX
GPU : Zotac Trinity RTX 3090
Powersupply :Corsair RMX RM1000W
Ram : Corsair Vengence 16x4, 2133MHz
Liquid Cooler : Coolermaster ML240

I have seen few threads and posts on internet saying Z390-F Supports max 64GB.....But Asus official website says max support is 128GB..

Few sites says Asus has released bios update for Z390-F making it compatable for 128GB for 9th gen processors.

But i7-8700K has support for max. ram capacity of 128GB

My Question is:
1.Can i upgrade ram to 128GB with that Processor and Motherboard (BIOS Updated) ?
2.Or based on websites info. Should i change processor to 9th gen. ?
3.Or should i Change both Mobo and Processor. ?
4. Is my rig good enough to upgrade ram ?

I have very limitted budget to invest, suggest me if i can upgrade with changing anyof those...

Thanks in advance..

Hi all, I wana upgrade my ram to 128GB, currently i have 64GB...I have few queries regarding CPU and MOTHERBOARD.......

MY RIG:
Processor : i7-8700K
Motherboard : Asus Z390-F ROG STRIX
GPU : Zotac Trinity RTX 3090
Powersupply :Corsair RMX RM1000W
Ram : Corsair Vengence 16x4, 2133MHz
Liquid Cooler : Coolermaster ML240

I have seen few threads and posts on internet saying Z390-F Supports max 64GB.....But Asus official website says max support is 128GB..

Few sites says Asus has released bios update for Z390-F making it compatable for 128GB for 9th gen processors.

But i7-8700K has support for max. ram capacity of 128GB

My Question is:
1.Can i upgrade ram to 128GB with that Processor and Motherboard (BIOS Updated) ?
2.Or based on websites info. Should i change processor to 9th gen. ?
3.Or should i Change both Mobo and Processor. ?
4. Is my rig good enough to upgrade ram ?

I have very limitted budget to invest, suggest me if i can upgrade with changing anyof those...

Thanks in advance..
Asus and intel show support for 128GB.

What are you running that can come even close to needing that amount of ram?

It's CPU (and it's "bitness") that limits amount of supported RAM. 64bit CPUs (actually it's IMC) can in theory use much more RAM but are artificially limited in consumer CPUs and reserved for high end ones.
Other limiter may be MB (number of slots) and it's BIOS as well as capacity of RAM sticks according to it's generation. DDR5 promises to double RAM capacity party because latest CPU generations will have 4 memory places in one IMC channel.

Aug 27, 2022
It's CPU (and it's "bitness") that limits amount of supported RAM. 64bit CPUs (actually it's IMC) can in theory use much more RAM but are artificially limited in consumer CPUs and reserved for high end ones.
Other limiter may be MB (number of slots) and it's BIOS as well as capacity of RAM sticks according to it's generation. DDR5 promises to double RAM capacity party because latest CPU generations will have 4 memory places in one IMC channel.

Asus Z390-F have 4 RAM slots.

Last edited: