Question Help with randomly slowing/dropping 2.4 Ghz wifi

Jun 6, 2019
Hello all, I'm hoping you can help with something that has been driving me crazy!

Several weeks ago, my wifi kicked everything offline. When it came back, it was VERY slow. Long story short, I isolated the problem to the 2.4 Ghz network (couldn't tell at the time because it shared the same SSID as the 5 Ghz network). I've had AT&T out twice, and they replaced the original 2Wire gateway with an Arris BGW210 and rewired the entire fiber outlet. A few minute later... same exact problem.

I've since turned off all wifi radios on the Arris and am using a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 plugged directly into it for wifi. 5 Ghz signal works great, regularly more than 100 mbps on my 100 mbps plan. 2.4 Ghz will also achieve this, then suddenly drop to below 2 mpbs for absolutely no reason. Sometimes it goes offline completely. Rebooting the gateway and router seems to fix the problem when it happens, but only for a few minutes.

It almost seems like something is interfering, but only sometimes. The reasons I don't think this is the case is because it started out of nowhere after years of no problems. And when I launch a 2.4 Ghz wifi hotspot from my cell phone, it has no problems at all, so the band seems fine. I suspect it's something in the way AT&T started handling traffic from 2 Ghz networks, but I really have no idea what more I can do.

Any tips are appreciated! This is a direct fiber connection and I'm using a Samsung S8+ mostly to test connection speeds. My 2.4 Ghz network has a wireless printer, 3 smart outlets, Amazon Echo, and a Nest thermostat on it...but none of those devices are new and all worked fine for months before this started.

Thanks for any tips!

Jun 6, 2019
Well, I think I solved my own problem...

My wife has a pair of cordless karaoke mics. I didn't think anything of them because they've been there for years and are rarely used. She used them recently and left them turned on when placing them back on the charger. My guess is this causes the battery to drain and then charge or something, something that makes the base send a signal to them and interfere with the wifi. I unplugged the entire thing and everything went right back to working exactly the way it should.

I guess the lesson is when something seemingly random happens, think really hard about everything that happened around the same time the problem started and work from there.