Help with reinstalling windows 8!

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi guys,

So here's the issue. I have a legit copy of windows 8 (standard) and it was working fine. I have had this computer for about a year now and its been awesome! Until... until i got greedy and tried to upgrade WIndows 8 to Windows 8 Pro using a false Product key -.-!

Yes I know it was a bad choice but right now I am REALY wanting to get this fixed basically I have 2 watermarks on my screen! its bugging me like crazy telling me to activate windows! So I spoke with Mircosoft and they told me that the only way to fix this is to buy their WIndows 8 Pro product key and I realy don't have the money. He did also mention that this could be fixed if I reinstalled windows 8.

Now this is the part that really worries me. I have had this computer for quite some time now and I deffinitly do not want to have any files removed, corrupted or whatever! Is there a way to reinstall my standard legit copy of windows 8 on my computer without deleting or effecting any of my files, drivers, software, settings, everything. Basically just refresh windows without touching a single file or setting.

Kindest Regards,

Solution
I don't believe so, no.

Going from 8 Pro (fake or not) to 8 is not an upgrade path, but rather a full reinstall.

Gather all your application install disks and files, save your critical files off on your backup drive (you do have a backup drive, right?), and reinstall.

I know that is not the answer you were looking for, but there it is. Is it a pain? Yes, probably. Is it the end of the world? No.

Even with a standard 'upgrade' from one OS to another, it is ALWAYS advisable to have your stuff backed up, just in case.

And as a point of advice, discussion of pirated software is strictly against the Forum rules. I know you posted this because you are trying to get legal. But tread lightly with this.
And blow that pirate Win8Pro away.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't believe so, no.

Going from 8 Pro (fake or not) to 8 is not an upgrade path, but rather a full reinstall.

Gather all your application install disks and files, save your critical files off on your backup drive (you do have a backup drive, right?), and reinstall.

I know that is not the answer you were looking for, but there it is. Is it a pain? Yes, probably. Is it the end of the world? No.

Even with a standard 'upgrade' from one OS to another, it is ALWAYS advisable to have your stuff backed up, just in case.

And as a point of advice, discussion of pirated software is strictly against the Forum rules. I know you posted this because you are trying to get legal. But tread lightly with this.
And blow that pirate Win8Pro away.

Solution

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Sorry about that discussion, it won't happen again I can a sure you! From now on I'm as legal as ever!

I understand, I don't have a backup drive (didn't think I would need one) but I'll go out and get 2TB drive or something and just transfer all the important stuff over and reinstall windows. Also one last question, is windows 8 pro actually worth buying? I might just buy the product key just to save me the time.

USAFRet

Titan
Win 8 Pro isn't really necessary. Helpful if you;re connecting to a domain, etc. But regular 8 is fine.

And you ALWAYS need a back up of your critical files. Without it, you are one bad virus or drive crash away from losing all of it.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Okay atleast I now know thanks! I am sorry for keeping you back but just a few question on reinstalling windows 8. So after I have gotten all my files game files and stuff like that, would I place over all my files again to their approriate locations (ProgramFiles, ProgramFilesx86, ect) and just shortcut their .exe files to the desktop? Then after that would i just reinstall my drivers, driectx stuff like that and everything would be back to their original state?

USAFRet

Titan

after the Windows install, you other applications also need to be reinstalled. Just changing the shortcut will not work
As an application is installed, it makes many, many entries in the Registry.

Your new Windows OS will not know about those.
You can reinstall the applications wherever you choose. On the SSD, HDD, wherever...