help with router/wireless

Until tonight, my system has worked fine. I have a Belkin 54G
wired/wireless router connected to a Toshiba Cable modem. I have no
problem with my Desktop which is wired into the router. I have
another Desktop in another room with a Belkin 54G PC wireless card in
it. I have a Laptop in another room with a built in 54G wireless card
in it. I have another laptop on my Garage work bench with a .11B
PCMIA wireless card in it.

Tonight my three wireless stations are finding a NETGEAR wireless
somewhere with a low signal. It takes over and I can't recognizie my
54G wireless router. It comes and goes It will recognize the 54G for
a few minutes and then lose it.

I have no idea where this NETGEAR signal is coming from. How can I
isolate this signal. None of my computers are networked together.
They all use the Cable modem independently.

Hope to get some answers..

What do you mean that "None of my computers are networked together. They all
use the Cable modem independently." Aren't they all connected (wirelessly
or wired) through the router? Isn't the router the only device that's
actually connected to the cable modem?

Your wireless hosts are finding the Netgear Access-Point because you haven't
specified in the hosts to which network you prefer to connect. This is done
by specifying the SSID of your network. It's a very good idea to change the
SSID of the network in the router from the default to some name that's more
likely to be unique in your neighborhood.

How you specify in the hosts which SSID to connect to depends on the
Operating System(s) used in the hosts. You didn't say which OS(s) you're
using. In Windows XP you put the desired SSID on the Preferred Networks
list.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

El Cugino" <cworetnospam@cox.net> wrote in message
> Until tonight, my system has worked fine. I have a Belkin 54G
> wired/wireless router connected to a Toshiba Cable modem. I have no
> problem with my Desktop which is wired into the router. I have
> another Desktop in another room with a Belkin 54G PC wireless card in
> it. I have a Laptop in another room with a built in 54G wireless card
> in it. I have another laptop on my Garage work bench with a .11B
> PCMIA wireless card in it.
>
> Tonight my three wireless stations are finding a NETGEAR wireless
> somewhere with a low signal. It takes over and I can't recognizie my
> 54G wireless router. It comes and goes It will recognize the 54G for
> a few minutes and then lose it.
>
> I have no idea where this NETGEAR signal is coming from. How can I
> isolate this signal. None of my computers are networked together.
> They all use the Cable modem independently.
>
> Hope to get some answers..

In your wireless configuration menu, make the Belkin your PREFERRED
network and uncheck the box that indicates to connect to NON-PREFERRED
networks automatically. Merry Christmas!

--
doug Jamal