Help with router

Sep 23, 2018
Hi there,
In my house there is a modem in het basement, and an Access point on the first floor. The problem is that I have pretty bad wifi in my bedroom (located on the 2nd floor) To solve this problem I was thinking of setting up a router in my tv-room (next to my room). Is this possible if I have an ethernet socket available?

Solution
Why not use a wired connection to connect directly?

Modem/router > patch panel > Ethernet Jack in TV room > Ethernet cable through wall > your PC.

Will likely be a faster connection and not involve purchasing a router. Perhaps an Ethernet cable or two.....

May require a small (about 3/4") floor level hole through the TV-room||your bedroom wall to pass the Ethernet cable through to your PC.

Or, if wireless a must requirement, try the working 1st floor Access Point on second floor. Big plus as you know that the AP is functioning

No configuration changes needed and the Access Point may well serve both 1st and 2 floors very nicely.

Take a look at the existing modem/router and the existing Access Point. Figure out the makes and...

Ralston18

Titan
Perhaps.

Having two routers may prove quite problematic and may not even be necessary.

Who manages the existing network router?

Which may be that "modem" in the basement - could be a modem/router combination.

Is there a patch panel that provides Ethernet connections to the various rooms in your house?

Are you able to run more wires through your house? Is doing so possible?

What make and models for the existing modem (or modem/router) and access point?

If you have a jack in your TV-room you need to ensure that it is an Ethernet connection and not telephone or coax.

Ideally you might end up with a wiring path something like the following:

ISP > Modem/Router > patch panel > TV room Ethernet jack > Ethernet cable (via "hole in wall) to your bedroom > your PC.

Where the Modem and Router could be either two devices or a combo device. And all connections being Ethernet cables.

Are you able to sketch out an accurate diagram of your connections?

Sep 23, 2018
1) Orange manages the network.
2) It is a modem/router combo
3) yes there is a patch panel
4)I’m not sure about that one
5) I’m almost certain it is an ethernet connection because when I put my access point there it works fine
I was also thinking of buying the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 and hook it up to my modem, would this help?
thanks for the answer!

Ralston18

Titan
Why not use a wired connection to connect directly?

Modem/router > patch panel > Ethernet Jack in TV room > Ethernet cable through wall > your PC.

Will likely be a faster connection and not involve purchasing a router. Perhaps an Ethernet cable or two.....

May require a small (about 3/4") floor level hole through the TV-room||your bedroom wall to pass the Ethernet cable through to your PC.

Or, if wireless a must requirement, try the working 1st floor Access Point on second floor. Big plus as you know that the AP is functioning

No configuration changes needed and the Access Point may well serve both 1st and 2 floors very nicely.

Take a look at the existing modem/router and the existing Access Point. Figure out the makes and models.

If they are playing well together you do not want to cause other issues (per bill001g's post) in your network.

Go online and find the User Guide/Manual (via Netgear's website) and learn about configuring the Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 as an AP. Keep the bigger picture in mind.

Go simple first, try, test, see what happens. Likely that you will discover other factors and things to be considered.

Sketch it all out, keep notes, change only one thing at a time. Post accordingly.

Solution