Help with router!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks for all the help. I believe with all that you have told me and countless hours of work we have a bad router. Thanks again. Bruce By the way do you know if you can still download updates for win98 . This mourning I could not get anything from ms but we had a error try again. Bruce

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The last time I tried I could. But that has been several months. I have set my router up to block all port 80 and others that related to internet access. Used for internal use only, now.

Dafaad

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Hi Bruce, Blue knows what he is talking about and I understand your frustration with the router. I installed the same router for my brother about 3 months ago and had some problems as well. My main problem was me trying to hard I think. I tried to do everything that the CD told me to do, but before using the CD. If you just put the CD in the computer that was working on the Internet and follow the instructions exactly, it should work unless it is broken.

Another thing is that there are ports marked on the back in very small hard to read spots. Internet is WAN and WAN is Internet, it stand for Wide Area Network, which the Internet truely is. I have also seen some routers that use port 1 as WAN alternative, so it may be best to connect your computer to port 4 just to be on safe side.

When I did this, I had a hard time getting the Internet even though it gave me an IP. The only way I was able to resolve it was to completely turn off all power to all machines for about a minute. If you have noticed, network cards in computers remain lit with the power switch off. This is so they can be wakened by remote access, this power sometimes maintains an address even though windows might think it is wiped. If you completely unplug everything for about a minute. It will truely give you a new IP when setup correctly. Just my 2 cents worth.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I did follow the instruction on the cd and only made changes as indicated. The ports on the back are clearly marked and I had no trouble finding the Wan and port 1 to 4. I appreciate the advise because I have made errors in the past like that. The advise I have gotten from you all has been a valuable lesson and I have printed some out for future reference. I don't take lightly the advise you guys and girls give because I was the one asking the question. Here is a thank you hope to conference with you in the future. Bruce

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Just an interjection: One may be able to find mac address on the labels of various networking equipment.

I admit I skimmed the posts. Apologies if someone said this already.

johnnyv

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Since your moving the linksys to your home connection worked, and the setup at your neighbors showed a link but no internet connectivity I'm betting the neighbor's PC is running XP with the personal firewall enabled. Disable the firewall on the PC and you will get your internet connectivity.
P.S. don't forget to enable the firewall on the linksys. :wink:

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Nah, wrong again. I tried all of that. I had the same luck here. connected but can't get on the net. I was able to get into the routeras long as I hookes to it by it's self with no modem attached. It should be simple. My d-link did not work off the bat untill I did a firmware update. I don't know I can't get it to work on either PC. I have never had that problem before. I would give fifty dollor to watch someone get it working. Bruce

brentmaccc

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

brentmaccc

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

G

Status
Not open for further replies.