Help with School!

Thefirstbuild

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
Hey guys and gals! I'm writing an essay for english and I wanted to do the topic "computer building is difficult. However I've been doing so much research it's not that difficult in my opinion. Can you give me some reasons of why...

Why making making a custom computer is difficult?

Solution
Standards is what makes it easy. Just like Henry Ford used standard parts to improve the efficiency of the assembly line, standards have made PC manufacturing (and by extension, home building) fairly simple. PC assembly don't use skilled labor to assemble things, so it has to be made fool proof.

Assembly is EASY. "Design" is hard. Choosing the optimum mix of parts to maximize what is important to you as an end user.

kanewolf

Titan
Standards is what makes it easy. Just like Henry Ford used standard parts to improve the efficiency of the assembly line, standards have made PC manufacturing (and by extension, home building) fairly simple. PC assembly don't use skilled labor to assemble things, so it has to be made fool proof.

Assembly is EASY. "Design" is hard. Choosing the optimum mix of parts to maximize what is important to you as an end user.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
[personal opinion]

I think the hardest part for a beginner is getting to know what parts are compatible and what parts are reliable. Knowing which components are needed is easy. Knowing which components actually work together is a bit more difficult. Knowing which components are actually from quality manufacturers takes even more research. Unfortunately, that's something that many people are no longer willing to do; which makes custom building a good PC very difficult.

[/personal opinion]

-Wolf sends

Thefirstbuild

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

You're in luck I wasn't selling the thesis. However, I changed it to designing a computer and he said "if you want to do the research....*Shoulder Shrug and walk away*" :ouch: I still want this topic so :D :D :D

Would you tell me what is difficult about designing?

Thefirstbuild

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

Yah, i agree I think my first paragraph will be about compatibily, but I still need 6 more reasons... :pfff:

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with all of the previous postings.

One way to go about it is to go beyond the research and build a computer..... It is one thing to say "Yes, I can put a mobo, cpu, ram, psu, etc. all together" without really having any real financial or labor investment. Once you are down to physically going forward things get tougher. More risks such as shorting something out and frying everything. Positive attitudes are great but they can be sorely pressed when reality hits.

And some hints: Computers are products and there are liabilities on all sides. Those liabilities pose difficulties regardless of scale. Think outside of just the building/construction process. Safety, security, quality.

What about obsolesence? Repairability (fix versus replace)?

Compatibility: What standards are there to chose from?

Without an OS a computer is a big (well used to be) brick. Picking an OS has all sorts of ramifications.

Marketing: how should the computer look: space age, medieval (big, big tower)? Environmental considerations: "green". Hazardous materials use.

Think beyond the physical requirements.

May be much more to consider than you realize and picking what to address in your paper is a task in itself.

Thefirstbuild

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

Very good ideas! I think I'll do this to my report.
Theme - The process of designing a computer is difficult.
I)Attitude- a positive but not ignorant mindset is key to finishing build
a) We need to be positive when the going gets tough
b) We need to be realistic and accept the harsh facts
II)Advertisement- planning an appearance and theme that will appeal to the buyer(designer or a third party consumer)
a) The designer has to figure out what the consumer wants or else it won't sell
b) That person also has to make sure it's fast enough for the consumers workload. But, you know a $1000 shiny brick isn't bad
III)Financial Safety- Keeping your budget in check and not falling prey to false advertisement
a) Addiction on computer pimping. People see an advertisement and say they want it. But, in reality they don't need it and are spending the money they need for their house's rent bill
b) Buying from a untrusted seller is risky and sometimes hard to distinguish. It's not unheard of where a ebay, craigslist, or website offers a good deal that is about 20% off the retail price. Then the person is robbed, injured or worse. We need to learn to verify what is true and fake.
IV) Compatibility - Making sure our computer has limited errors and maximized performance
a) Bottlenecks are a big problem that designers face. We have to know how the part works and then we have to apply this knowledge to the other parts. We don't want a $500 CPU running at half speed, do we?
b) Drivers are a slap to face when it comes to compatibility. Without the correct driver our hardware is pretty much useless. It's up to the designer to procure the part that is going to be supported by the manufacturer.
V) Computer Protection- Making sure a part doesn't get fried and is protected from unknown variables
a)Cooling is an onerous complication because we have to make sure all the parts are not adulterated. Water and air carry pollutants and are known to wreak havoc if not installed properly.
b) Assuming all outside variables are limited. A designer has to make sure the parts can handle the strain of that. Once again, a ton of research and time looking into a parts specs.
VI) Reading - More information is found online and as such we must train our reading skills
a) First we must draw ourselves away from all distractions and focus solely on the text. A process that can takes some people years to master.
b) While reading, we have to read work fast and find the key points. This is important in keeping a timely schedule and doing what important

Is this good so far?

kanewolf

Titan
Just like any engineering project, creating the requirements -- size, color, performance, noise, ports, OS, ... Is the most important step. Engineers have a lot of difficulty (I have been a computer engineer of some type for 30 years) in creating requirements that are clear and testable. If you can't test a requirement, then how do you know if you met it?

Thefirstbuild

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

so I need to redo my reasons?

kanewolf

Titan

I was just trying to equate this to larger projects. And have you think about how to communicate about requirements. Add a step about defining requirements for the build.

Thefirstbuild

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
Defining Requirements - As designers we face a common problem; working underneath a set of requirements to create a end product.
Wow, you're being a big help. Would you give me two examples of this in a real world situation. For instance when somebody messed up and blew a ton of money. Maybe even a prime example of it done correctly and it's benefits. I'll give you the answer after this because not only did you convince my teacher with the first message and help me re-write my thesis more accurately. You also are giving me a strong reason I can relate too. (I'm in an engineering club) :D :D :D
If I get this reason finished I'll rush my essay today.(It's due tomorrow) :heink: :lol: I'm screwed

kanewolf

Titan
From the computer industry, research Y2K ... Very basic requirements -- be able to determine if a date is before or after another date.
I will not say that everything I designed or implemented was GOLD. But it didn't fail at Y2K. Some of the people I worked with did write code in the late '90s which did fail. It shouldn't have, because the problem was well understood and easily correctable.

Thefirstbuild

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

Would you mind if I quote you? I would love to make this my strongest reason. I feel this would be the perfect thing to conclude computer design requirements.
If I'm going to quote this story I might need some information though. Could you tell me what the failed coding resulted in? Like did a plane crash over the atlantic.(I need the details :D) Also what did you prevent from happening? Did a bank save a million dollars from a tax transaction?

kanewolf

Titan

In my particular case, it was that daily reports weren't run. Midnight rollover happened, and the status reports from the work the day before were supposed to run. They didn't because they were looking for data that didn't exist because of the date problem. Nothing exceptional, BUT the engineer knew about the issue, was EXPLICITLY told to use 4 digit date fields everywhere and still didn't do it correctly.

There WAS another date rollover that was more serious and less well known -- The GPS week rollover -- http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=gpsweek and http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2869
There is also ANOTHER rollover coming up in a few years -- The UNIX/Linux date rollover -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem This one could be MUCH worse than any of the previous ones ....

Good thing I will be retired from the software industry. But for the right price I might be available as a consultant :)

TRENDING THREADS