[SOLVED] Help with second m2 SSD installed - says it's a recovery partition and EFI partition

Solution
That's because you initialized the drive in GPT style and those extra partitions are automatically created. These partitions are small. There will also be an even smaller unformatted reserved partition which is not shown in Windows Disk Management but can be seen in third-party partitioning tools.

If you really want to reclaim those partitions, there are two things you can do.
  1. Run Diskpart from the command line and use the 'Clean' command to return the disk to its initial unpartitioned state. Then initialize it as MBR with Diskpart or Disk Management.
  2. Use a third-party software to delete those small partitions and add the unallocated space to the main partition. I use MiniTool Partition Wizard but there are others.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
That's because you initialized the drive in GPT style and those extra partitions are automatically created. These partitions are small. There will also be an even smaller unformatted reserved partition which is not shown in Windows Disk Management but can be seen in third-party partitioning tools.

If you really want to reclaim those partitions, there are two things you can do.
  1. Run Diskpart from the command line and use the 'Clean' command to return the disk to its initial unpartitioned state. Then initialize it as MBR with Diskpart or Disk Management.
  2. Use a third-party software to delete those small partitions and add the unallocated space to the main partition. I use MiniTool Partition Wizard but there are others.
CORRECTION!!
The disk you've shown is not the new 1TB drive. It's the existing 512GB drive. You should not mess with that. Those partitions are essential for booting your system.

Last edited:
Solution
I added a second 1TB m2 SSD. On my disk management in windows 11, it appeared to create a recovery partition and a EFI partition. How do I fix this so I can have additional storage?
Those partitions are essential for your system. EFI System - is bootloader (required for system to boot). Recovery partition houses recovery environment.

Your second 1TB drive is not appearing in Disk Management. It's possible, it is not compatible with your system.
What's the model name of this new 1TB SSD?

Nov 26, 2021
Thanks for the help. I discovered the second SSD was not detected in the BIOS. I swapped the SSDs around and they both appeared in the BIOS. I suspect it was not seated properly. All good now. Thanks.