Question Help with: Second router as an Access Point (WIRELESS)

Jul 31, 2022
Yes, I've read down through other threads here before posting. ;)

Here's the background...

I have my first router all set up and running, no issues with that. It works within the house just fine. My house is brick and I have a metal roof. This makes getting signal in the backyard tough, but not impossible. I've been trying to use a second router to help. I cannot run a cable, otherwise, this would be a lot easier. So I'm trying to do it wirelessly.

I've followed every tutorial I can find, they are very similar, just different screens, but basically all the same details. The second router IS connecting to the first wirelessly as planned, but I isn't broadcasting a wifi signal. I can only get internet access if I connect my laptop via a cable.

It gets weirder!
My first router doesn't show the second router is connected UNLESS I'm connected to the second router. (Via the cabled connection with the laptop)

What other information can I supply to help? What can I try?

Thank you!!

Your problem is what you want is a repeater not a AP, access point. In addition I think you are actually running it in what is called client bridge which in effect makes it into a wifi nic card that is connected to a pc via ethernet.

Your router would need to support repeater mode not all routers have this ability.

In addition there is no magic to this. The second router will not be able to send the signal through the bricks any better than your first router. I guess you could try to put it in a window. You are going to greatly impact your wifi performance when you run in repeater mode. Most times you lose at least 1/2 and many times more.

The only true solution is going to be able to find a way to get a wire through the walls. A outdoor power outlet that is protected would allow you to use a powerline unit that has a AP built into it.

Jul 31, 2022
Bill001g,

You are absolutely right! ;) I misspoke, my mind was still on the last threat I read. It is set up as a repeater. As far as the brick, I'm well aware. The second router is roughly 15 feet from the other but outside. It does show it as a good connection, I totally understand it won't be as strong or fast as the first.

Thank you for your response!!

I have my first router all set up and running, no issues with that. It works within the house just fine. My house is brick and I have a metal roof. This makes getting signal in the backyard tough
a powerline adapter with WiFi would be a good option in this type of scenario.

i've been testing/reviewing the devolo Magic 2 WiFi Next unit and seems like it would be a perfect solution to your problem.
i have it placed on an outlet just by our back sliding glass door and it offers excellent WiFi coverage throughout our kitchen, garage, and back yard which are on the opposite side of our block house from where the modem & router are setup.

previously using WiFi extenders worked but didn't offer near as much coverage or connection speed as this unit does.

Jul 31, 2022
a powerline adapter with WiFi would be a good option in this type of scenario.

i've been testing/reviewing the devolo Magic 2 WiFi Next unit and seems like it would be a perfect solution to your problem.
i have it placed on an outlet just by our back sliding glass door and it offers excellent WiFi coverage throughout our kitchen, garage, and back yard which are on the opposite side of our block house from where the modem & router are setup.

previously using WiFi extenders worked but didn't offer near as much coverage or connection speed as this unit does.

Thank you, I'll look into this option!! I just happen to have a (newer) spare router and thought this would work. Who knew...