Help with security center and firewall

Hi, I unistalled my Norton Internet Security and it seems that it took with
it some other things as well. I am using a HP Pavillion 7915 desktop with
Windows XP Home edition that is up to date on all security patches and
releases. My HP update center is no longer working, seems the backweb for
that is gone so I turned it off to stop the error messages. I then went into
the control panel to turn on my windows firewall and I get this message:

Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows firewall
settings.

So I then go to the Windows Security Center in the Control Panel. That
opens up with the message:

The Security Center is currently unavailable because the "Security Center"
has not started or was stopped. Please close this window, restart the
computer, (or start the secuity control center) and then open the control
center again.

How do you start the security control center?

I then try to do a restore point hoping that would bring back whatevermay
have been lost. It stated that it was successful but still the problems were
there after starting up.

I then did a non-destructive system recovery but that didn't solve the
problems either. I really don't want to have to do a complete system
recovery which would involve backing everything up and then losing all info
on the hard drive (although that would give my computer a clean starting
slate). I have always used a firewall, anti-virus (I do a complete scan
every other day) and I use Lava-Soft Ad-Aware SE Personal for those wonderful
spywares (I run that every evening). So far, my programs have never detected
anything that could or would be harmful to my computer.

I did download the free firewall and anti-virus that Cox Communications
offers its customers but when it went thru the detection stage it was showing
that the windows firewall was running so I turned off the windows firewall by
accessing it thru control panel and then network connections. I do not like
the firewall that Cox is offering and would like to be able to access and set
up the firewall that came with the computer.

I read thru this board and did try some of the suggested tips for others
with the firewall problems to no avail. Can someone try to help me solve
what happened when I uninstalled my Norton?

Thanks in advance,

Char

bar

So now your 'problem' has layers of fixes or other issues over the top that
will mask the real issues.

A repair installation of XP should fix up all Operating Systems issues. It
may not fix the HP application problems.

You may decide that the 'best' solution for your efforts is to 'copy all
your documents' etc. Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard: create a FAST
file and burn that to CDs / DVDs, such that it can be 'imported in FAST'
after you reload the factory fresh state with the recovery CD set.

As for what happened with Norton: well the short answer is that it should
not have caused any 'injury' to the PC. I have not seen the removal of any
of Norton's application cause any damage to a system.

"Char" wrote:

> [...]

> Windows XP Home edition that is up to date on all security patches and
> releases. My HP update center is no longer working, seems the backweb for
> that is gone so I turned it off to stop the error messages. I then went
> into
> the control panel to turn on my windows firewall and I get this message:
>
> Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows firewall
> settings.
>
> So I then go to the Windows Security Center in the Control Panel. That
> opens up with the message:
>
> The Security Center is currently unavailable because the "Security Center"
> has not started or was stopped. Please close this window, restart the
> computer, (or start the secuity control center) and then open the control
> center again.
>
> How do you start the security control center?

Go to the Control Panel, open Performance and Maintenance, open
Adminstrative Tools, open Services. Make sure that the "Security Center" and
"Windows Firewall/Intenet Connection Sharing" start up type is set to
Automatic. Reboot your computer and see if they are available.

Back web may have been removed by an anti-spyware program. Some programs
classify it as spyware. I usually remove it and advise people to update from
HP manually. Even if it's not spyware it slows your computer down. I find HP
computers work much better and faster if you remove all the spyware/adware
they come with from the factory.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:9CDB954B-1338-4D02-9E5E-81A7E69FBEE3@microsoft.com,
Char <Char@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I read thru this board and did try some of the suggested tips for
> others with the firewall problems to no avail. Can someone try to
> help me solve what happened when I uninstalled my Norton?

This may or may not be your answer but it's a place to start. If I'm reading
your post correctly (thank you for giving us as much information as you did)
you're unable to start the security service and don't know how to start it.
Well, it could be disabled and that might be why you'd not be able to start
it.

Press the start button, click on run. Type "services.msc" without the quotes
and hit enter. Scroll down on that page and find the "Security Center"
service. Right click on it, select properties, on that window that opens set
it to automatic in the drop down menu selection and then press the start
button that's on that same window. Click okay and close out from there. You
should be okay unless Norton has taken the opportunity to further disable
computers who uninstall their software. Anything beyond that and it's
probably not an operating system problem but rather a problem with their
uninstaller and you should get better (I hope) assistance from their
company.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes