Help with setting up MoCA with separate modem and router

Jan 14, 2019
Hello, I am stuck on trying to set up a MoCA signal.

My current setup:
Coax Outlet -C-> DOCIS 3.0 CM500 Modem -Ethernet-> Asus Blue Cave Router

The Modem has one coax and one Ethernet port.

The router then provides Ethernet to a desktop and a hue hub.

My goal is to use a MoCA adapter in the living room coax outlet to provide Ethernet to a switch, which will then provide Ethernet to a few other devices. When I put the MoCA adapter in the living room, everything lit up, but it would not provide service. Can anyone help? Do I need a second adapter?

Link to diagram

http://

Solution
I don't know if the input from the ISP and the MOCA adapter can coexist on one cable.

IF you wanted to try this you would be
Coax port -> MM1000 network port
MM1000 device port -> CM500 -> blue cube WAN
Blue cube LAN connected to MM1000 ethernet port

kanewolf

Titan
You would probably need two coax and a second MoCA adapter. The LAN side of the router needs to be connected to a MoCA adapter that then is connected to coax which goes to the livingroom, where the second MoCA adapter converts back to ethernet.

Your drawing has nothing to feed MoCA to your livingroom. The only local IP addresses are available at the LAN ports on your Blue Cave router. That has to get tied to the livingroom I don't know if you can have another MM1000 between the coax outlet and the CM500 or not.

Jan 14, 2019

Hello, thank you for the response.

I do not have a second adapter in the master bedroom between the CM500 and the Coax outlet. Is this where I have gone wrong?

So should my set up look like this? The MoCA has two ports, one for network, and one for device, which I believe can pass through to the modem. Do I no longer need the ethernet port from my modem with this setup?

Updated drawing below:
http://

kanewolf

Titan
I don't know if the input from the ISP and the MOCA adapter can coexist on one cable.

IF you wanted to try this you would be
Coax port -> MM1000 network port
MM1000 device port -> CM500 -> blue cube WAN
Blue cube LAN connected to MM1000 ethernet port

Solution
You need a moca device on both ends. It is best though of as a media converter. Let take a simpler case say you have a long piece of coax and want to hook up 2 pc. The connections would be

pc-ethernet--moca--------coax--------moca-ethernet-pc

In your case you must have a moca device on the end with the router also. You have a number of complications. From what I can tell you need to attack both the moca device and modem to the same coax. This may or may not be as simple as using a coax splitter. In many cases the moca device itself can act as the splitter. I know the top end arris modem/router combo unit has the ability to act as a moca and get the ISP internet on a single cable.

The much larger issue I see is you have cable tv boxes. Many of the whole house DVR type systems used by cable tv providers use the same frequency used by moca. Even when you do not actually purchase the dvr abilities many of the cable boxes still have the feature and cause interference. I do not know if your particular system has issues with compatibility

Jan 14, 2019

I took the current Moca adapter and moved it into the room with the modem.
Currently, the adapter is hooked to the coax outlet - and passing through to the modem, then is connected via ethernet to a LAN port on the router.

The modem is connected via ethernet to WAN port on router.

Internet seems to be working fine - but I can't tell if a second adapter will work in the living room or not without trying it.
The cable boxes are not really a big deal as we don't use them unless we have guests coming over on occasion, so I don't mind re-arranging for those occasions.

Jan 14, 2019

I wanted to thank you for your help - everything ended up working with this setup. After purchasing a second adapter and placing it back in the living room, I was able to receive service via ethernet on on of my devices.

TRENDING THREADS