Help with setting up VPN for Remote Desktop

Retr092

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Hi!

I am trying to set up to be able to remotely (when on a different network) connect to my home computer. And I want it to be secure, meaning no unauthorized will have access.

I have read going through a VPN before connecting through Windows Remote Desktop is the most secure.

But how do I make this?

I have set up a incomminc connection on my host(home) computer, which I want to connect to. And then I have setup a VPN connection on my laptop (computer Im connecting from). It works when im on the same network with both computers, but when I change to another network on my laptop, I am not able to connect to the host using the VPN i created.

I have also tried just using the Remote Desktop feature, and it works to connect me both locally and externally, meaning both with local ip and remote ip.

I get this error message when trying to connect to the host VPN externally(over the internet):
"Error Code: 806
The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for this failure is that at least one Internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider."

Any help would be appriciated, thanks!

Solution
I'd suggest chrome remote desktop. It uses a firewall pinhole and encrypts traffic. You won't have to worry about inbound connection setup.
They would need to get into your google account and use a pin to connect to it or steal a cookie from you. use a strong pw on your computer and make sure it locks after a short time. google would likely pay you if you could steal a cookie from their service.

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

I'd use OpenVPN, its also free.

Retr092

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Sure. But what would be most secure? First connecting to a VPN, then opening Remote Desktop and connecting to the host computer?
Im not sure I have understood the process of going through a VPN first, or how it actually works and what makes it more secure. Any explanation would be appriciated. Between just using the Remote Desktop and adding a VPN on top.

Jennice

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Maybe I have mis-understood something, but I think Retro092 is missing an important step.
In order to use VPN, you need a VPN router or other "end-point".

Just opening the ports on your PC will not enable remote access. It'll only make the host (home pc) vunerable for attacks from outside.

You need a VPN endpoint, which can be a router with VPN functionality, a Synology NAS with VPN package installed, or similar.
Then you need the corresponding client program on your remote pc.

Establich a secure connection over VPN to your destination (the external IP of your home).
THEN, use remote desktop as if it were in-house.

Retr092

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
How do I make a VPN endpoint then?
I have a VPN feature in my router, but I dont think that will work.
The only reason I mention a VPN is to add security to my Remote Desktop activity.

You need to open port 1723 on your router for VPN to work and allow GRE packets. Then port forward it to your computer's local IP address. Open remote desktop connections on your PC firewall both locally and externally.
You also need a fixed IP address in order to access your computer remotely or you need to know your external IP address at that moment. There are ways around this, like Dyndns and others.

You can do this in steps. First allow any computer remote access. Then restrict it to VPN. The restrict it to a particular IP address range if you wish.

Retr092

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I have opened 1723 with TCP and forward it to my local ip. Dont work. But how do I allow GRE packets?
Have also set a fixed ip on my host computer, set with Mac adress under DHCP settings on the router. Also setup a DDNS for the external ip.

Jennice

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
I would - personally - change the order.
1) Get a VPN running.
Then set up the remote desktop.

Right now, you're opening up your private PC for anyone in the world to attack.

If you use VPN, you will not need to open the Remote desktop ports in your router. It'll stay in the family, so to speak.

What model/brand is your router?

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

That is why I said get OpenVPN, because after that all is easy to do. And to successfully get OpenVPN working, you can go on youtube.

Sep 11, 2018

Here is another free vpn you should use.

I'd suggest chrome remote desktop. It uses a firewall pinhole and encrypts traffic. You won't have to worry about inbound connection setup.
They would need to get into your google account and use a pin to connect to it or steal a cookie from you. use a strong pw on your computer and make sure it locks after a short time. google would likely pay you if you could steal a cookie from their service.

Solution