Help with Slow SSD 840 Performance

Rjaustx

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hello,

I have an SSD 840 that I installed on an ASRock FM2A85X. When I ran the Samsung Magician benchmark it shows:
Seq Read: 272
Seq Write: 249
Random Read: 6318
Random Write: 22562

This seems really bad compared to what it is reported to be. Can you give me some pointers on what I could have wrong?

thanks

Download AS SSD
1)Report back on what the driver is. If it says pcide = Bad you found a problem. change IDE -> ahci. Do Not just change goto here to change:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Select either "Fix it" or "let me fix it"

2) If driver is OK, then
question which SATA III or are you on. The sequencial speeds indicate could be on a SATA II port, possibly in addition to #1.

Just a NOTE: You should get somewhat less than Manuf specs as Most spec are based on an Intel System (chipset/driver) slightly better than amd's also normally use ATTO as the benchmark.
ATTO is a POOR benchmark, if you need to benchmark use AS SSD, just do not run to often.
SEE: http://www.google.com/search?q=as+ssd+benchmark+samsung+830&hl=en&tbo=u&rlz=1R2AURU_enUS500&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EvK_UPCrK9DOqAHdqoG4Bg&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1290&bih=787

Rjaustx

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

It is set to Raid in the bios. I thought that was as good as ahci. True? I have a pair of raid drives from previous system I wanted to use and could only find one setting in bios.

Rjaustx

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

OK, dumb question I know, but how do I tell if driver is pcide? When I look at driver details it just has file names. Don't see anywhere on the device what type.

That MS fix looks like it is for an error message I've not seen. That's the correct fix?

All the connectors on this MB appear to be SATA3 from the manual. Am I missing something?

thanks

Yes, you can down load, install and open the program. The info will be there for driver and partition alginment. You do not have to run the benchmark part.

You have an AMD system. I think your best option is to set to Ahci. With an Intel system you can set the Bios to raid and Trim will still be passed to the SSD as long as the SSD is NOT a member drive of a raid set-up (NOT intel just recently updated their driver so trim will work even if drive is a member of a raid setup on 7 series Chipsets). I do NOT know if trim will be passed useing a AMD raid Driver.

Added: Should not have a problem of Sata II vs SAT III as you only have SATA III (6)
Minor correction SATA3 is NOT SATA III. Correct verbage is SATA II (Sata3) or SATAIII (Sata6)

The "Fix" is if the Bios was set to IDE not ahci. If your Bios was set to Raid not sure if there is a fix outside of reinstalling the OS.

Rjaustx

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Can I change to AHCI in BIOS without having to reinstall anything? I am going to try just running the MS fix and leaving BIOS in RAID to see if that works. I say that because I saw a check in TH for whether TRIM is enabled and I tried it and it was on this system. So, maybe RAID works for AHCI on AMD as well? Will let you know.

Rjaustx

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Thanks. I tried this so far. I think I am on to it, but not there yet.
1) Changed msahci in registry to 0, rebooted (BIOS still in RAID): Result AS SSD still says pciide.
2) Ran the microsoft fixt it but it failed with an error. Maybe because of my change? Don't see why it should. I am trying to run this again.

Is the prescribed process change to:
1) run Fix It (or do regedit manually)
2) Reboot to BIOS
3) Change to AHCI mode
4) Let Windows boot
5) Smile when AS SSD says AHCI

jemm

Distinguished
At this point I´d suggest you to go for a clean OS install.

Just disconnect the HDDs cables (power and SATA), leaving just the SSD connected.

Place your OS CR installation into the CDRoom, and power your PC to get into the Bios. Then set it to AHCI, and set the SSD as your primary/priority driver, then install the OS.

Afterwards reconnect the HDDs cables -- done!