[SOLVED] help with small pc

fozzer14

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Hi I made a small computer it has an Asus AM1I-A motherboard, 4gb ram and an amd sempron 3850 use a 1tb hard drive just and ordinary hdd drive, but I have tried installing windows xp, windows 7 and ubumtu I keep getting errors with xp it goes to a blue screen then restarts, with windows 7 32 bit it says windows 7 can't proceed with installation please restart. I try to restart but the problem persists. I am installing the os with usb drive I thought windows 7 might be a bit much for it but I am not sure can anyone help me with this or tell me an os this should run. any help much appreciated thanks advance

Solution
Ok, I have a slightly suspection that the HDD may be the problem here.

Here is what you can do to check:
  • You already have Ubuntu boot medium. Boot it to a live session (i.e. desktop, but not installing).
  • Then run an app calling Disk (you can probably search for "disk" in program menu)
  • In left pane, select the HDD
  • In drop-down menu (in top on the program window, should be located close to minimize/close buttons).
  • Select "SMART Data & self-tests
  • Take screenshot and upload.
Also, since you already have the Ubuntu boot medium, there should be a Memtest in boot options. Run that for some hours to check that the RAM is in good condition.
Ok, I have a slightly suspection that the HDD may be the problem here.

Here is what you can do to check:
  • You already have Ubuntu boot medium. Boot it to a live session (i.e. desktop, but not installing).
  • Then run an app calling Disk (you can probably search for "disk" in program menu)
  • In left pane, select the HDD
  • In drop-down menu (in top on the program window, should be located close to minimize/close buttons).
  • Select "SMART Data & self-tests
  • Take screenshot and upload.
Also, since you already have the Ubuntu boot medium, there should be a Memtest in boot options. Run that for some hours to check that the RAM is in good condition.

Solution