Help With Some Upgrades! Please!

Robbie Trudeau

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Hello tech-friends! I am coming to a point in my hobby where my trusty ole AMD System is wearing down on me. My current build is boasting a AMD-A6 5400k APU at 3.6 GHz, which I have had no problems with at all. I have 8 GB of very nice RAM and a GPU that would embarass myself if stated here. But don't worry, it works.

But here is where I am reaching a stall in my decision. I would like to upgrade to an Intel machine. I have read a lot of articles where people make "The Switch" and they do not regret it one bit. And so since 2015 it, I figured it is probably time do get it done. Here is what I would like to do.

My plans for this is to keep my RAM, my storage devices, my case, and all of the other peripherals. This leaves me with the need for a new MOBO, CPU, and GPU. I know what I want regarding MOBO and GPU. I want the Gigabyte Windforce G1 970, and an ASUS Z97. But I have been stressing over which CPU to get, and that is why I cam here.

I have looked at 3 CPU's mainly. The Pentium G3258, the i5 4690K, and, of course, the almighty i7 4790k. The G3258 with a price of 70 bucks seems to good to be true. But with the low core:thread count, I don't know if I can rely on it running recent games. With the i5 and it's core:thread count, it will run recent games, and it seems to be just what I need. But with the 4790k, it seems just what I want. It has a beastly core:thread count which is perfect for multitasking ( I do a lot of ), and can be OC'd to high clocks. It can handle any game thrown at it. And I haven't ran a game in ultra for years. :(

So my main question is this, what combo of GPU, CPU, and MOBO do you feel is best for what I want to do? I would love to get into the streaming business down the road. And I would love to actually run a game in ultra for once. And I for sure know I would be happy with a 970. SO that leaves me the rest of my money to drop on a CPU and MOBO combo.

Thank you guys and sorry for the long post. I have just been having troubles lately and would love the help of all you people like me out there.

Cheers!

Solution
Here's a revised list - you may not have a microcenter close by, so I selected Amazon, which had the next best price, for the CPU:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($208.09 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($354.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $883.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 23:51 EST-0500
You've pretty much answered your own question, I think. If you've got pockets deep enough, here's your shopping list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($208.09 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($354.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $843.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 23:45 EST-0500

If that's too steep, drop the mobo to a Z97-Pro or Z97-A, both of which are high quality boards that can handle OCing and multiple GPUs, they just don't have as many features as the ROG boards. If that's still not enough, drop the CPU to the i5-4690K - it can do everything a 4790K can do except hyperthread, it will just take longer to execute some tasks.

Here's a revised list - you may not have a microcenter close by, so I selected Amazon, which had the next best price, for the CPU:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $883.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 23:51 EST-0500

Solution

Robbie Trudeau

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

Yeah I kind of figured I did answer it. I just wanted to see what people's thoughts were on the three CPU's. But hey. Helping is what you are here for. :) I thank you very much for your help!