[SOLVED] Help with SSD

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
My 120GB SSD I just ordered has just arrived at the door. I don't know how I would get the data off of my current hard drive to my SSD. My hard drive has 430GB free of space. I believe the only way to get data on my new SSD would be to completely re-install Windows? Since I don't have a Windows OS downloaded onto a USB, or have a disk of it, I'm worried that I might run into some errors trying to re-install Windows.

Solution
I couldn't just like take out the HDD, leave the SSD in and Windows will automatically install to the SSD.
No.
Your current "Windows" lives on the HDD. If you take that out, there is nothing to 'automatically" install.

You need a 8GB (or larger) USB to create a Windows install.
Boot from that, and then you install the OS on that little SSD.

Read through this:

Lutfij

Titan
You will need a blank 16GB pen drive and use Windows Media Creation Tools(if you want to reinstall Windows 8.1/10) to create a bootable SUB installer for the OS. I wouldn't use any data migration app since it only leads to hair pulling. Best just retrieve all the critical data off the initial disk/partition and then reinstall the OS.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Could you provide the models of both, your HDD and SSD?
HDD is a Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM super old. SSD is a Kingston A400 120GB.

You will need a blank 16GB pen drive and use Windows Media Creation Tools(if you want to reinstall Windows 8.1/10) to create a bootable SUB installer for the OS. I wouldn't use any data migration app since it only leads to hair pulling. Best just retrieve all the critical data off the initial disk/partition and then reinstall the OS.
Couldn't I just re-install Windows normally by using the Wipe thing in Windows Settings?

USAFRet

Titan
I couldn't just like take out the HDD, leave the SSD in and Windows will automatically install to the SSD.
No.
Your current "Windows" lives on the HDD. If you take that out, there is nothing to 'automatically" install.

You need a 8GB (or larger) USB to create a Windows install.
Boot from that, and then you install the OS on that little SSD.

Read through this:

Solution