[SOLVED] Help with terrible wifi situation

Apr 9, 2021
I don't have access to any wifi source other than a mobile hotspot on my tablet.
I cant tether via micro USB and USB on my tablet so I use a Samsung galaxy s7 edge to tether the wifi connection from my tablet into my pc
well I want to make the connection micro USB to ethernet
or ultimately get tethering on my tablet to my pc
the tablet is an LG G PADtm X 8.0

and this is a really weird discussion/ I need help so Idk where to put it.

Solution
because my computer doesn't have built-in wifi and I'm not gonna buy a networking card for 100$
and because wired is 10x faster
Unless you successfully get tethering working directly from your cellular device, you still have a WIFI link somewhere in the chain. In that case a direct WIFI connection or your "wired" connection, fed by WIFI will be the same.

A USB WIFI adapter isn't $100. $20 -- https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-WiFi-Adapter-PC/dp/B07V4R3QHW/

kanewolf

Titan
I don't have access to any wifi source other than a mobile hotspot on my tablet.
I cant tether via micro USB and USB on my tablet so I use a Samsung galaxy s7 edge to tether the wifi connection from my tablet into my pc
well I want to make the connection micro USB to ethernet
or ultimately get tethering on my tablet to my pc
the tablet is an LG G PADtm X 8.0

and this is a really weird discussion/ I need help so Idk where to put it.
Why not just use the WIFI from the tablet? Why all the teathering ?
Have you considered getting a "Travel router" -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr802n/
It can be a WIFI client, and provide an ethernet network for any device.

kanewolf

Titan
because my computer doesn't have built-in wifi and I'm not gonna buy a networking card for 100$
and because wired is 10x faster
Unless you successfully get tethering working directly from your cellular device, you still have a WIFI link somewhere in the chain. In that case a direct WIFI connection or your "wired" connection, fed by WIFI will be the same.

A USB WIFI adapter isn't $100. $20 -- https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-WiFi-Adapter-PC/dp/B07V4R3QHW/

Solution
What do you mean wired is 10x faster. That is only true if you have something like a cable modem coming into your house.

Wifi is much faster than the mobile broadband connection to the ISP. No matter what you do you can never exceed the wireless connection between your house and the cell tower.

Now if it is you just want to save money I guess that might be a option but you are not going to find a ethernet/USB device other than a router. The device that connects via the USB cable needs to have a processor to run the program that does the tethering and then send the data to your pc via ethernet.

The cheapest option likely is to buy a USB wifi dongle for about $20. Don't buy those $5 pieces of junk. In effect you are currently using your cell phone as a USB wifi nic card.

Unless there is some strange restriction on tethering I can't see why you can't get your pc to tether to the laptop. In most devices hotspot is considered tethered so if there are restrictions it should be on both. The quick look on the documents for your tablet say it can run USB tethered. But there are many variations so if the ISP locked the feature out I don't know what to suggest.