[SOLVED] Help with TP-Link router

Bodrey

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2016
I'm hoping somebody can help me fix my router so I don't have to shell out needlessly for another one...

I have a TP-Link TD-W8960N router that I'd like to use with my ISP's demarcation device. However, whenever I access the router's interface now I immediately get this message...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvhUBZ0Ipt05jF_gkevEz3ufZ3Dk?e=3r9Dzc

I think it wants me to update the firmware version (I haven't used the router for years). I've tried on my own and with a TP-Link supervisor last night to "update the software" but it still didn't work. When I clicked on the Update Software button I then got another message that said the image was "bad". Has anyone else out there with a TP-Link router had this issue? If so, were you able to resolve it and if so, how do you do it? I bought this router outright; not from any specific ISP so it shouldn't be "locked" to any one ISP.

Solution
That thing is ancient, the last firmware version is 6 years old. It's N300 so it'll give slow wifi speeds compared to modern routers.

I'd get a new router anyways.

RealBeast

Titan
The TP-Link TD-W8960N is not a typical router it is an ADSL modem/router combination. It does have multi-function capability to work in several modes, and whether it will work depends on what connection she has. Is it a DSL line or cable, and exactly how are you attaching the TP-Link?

You can download the manual from the link above, which may also help. I doubt that any firmware update is the real solution.

Bodrey

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2016
The TP-Link TD-W8960N is not a typical router it is an ADSL modem/router combination. It does have multi-function capability to work in several modes, and whether it will work depends on what connection she has. Is it a DSL line or cable, and exactly how are you attaching the TP-Link?

You can download the manual from the link above, which may also help. I doubt that any firmware update is the real solution.
I'm with Execulink; subscribed to their fiber service. According to the rep I spoke to, she said it should still work... if I can just get past the initial interface page to configure it accordingly. I just don't know what's causing that message to pop up or what it's actually asking for. The TP-Link would be directly connected to Execulink's demarcation device (modem(?)).

Bodrey

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2016
Where are you attaching the output from the Execulink device into the TP-Link, the first LAN/WAN port? Also, have you reset the TP-Link?

Yes, the first LAN port. This router doesn't have a designated WAN/LAN port. Yes, I reset the TP-Link per their support's instruction. I have no doubt that the router would probably work if I could just get past the initial interface page - the request to "Update Software", whatever it is.

Actually, when I did have it connected to the Execulink modem and I typed 192.168.1.1 into my browser it didn't take me to the home page initially and asked for the username and password. However, even after entering these the same "Update Software" message then popped up. Back to Square One.

Last edited: