Help with transfering data from laptop hard drive using SATA to USB

popcornpals

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I took my hard drive out of my old laptop that died and need to transfer files and pictures to my computer. The Drive is working and the SATA to USB seems to be doing its thing. When I look in the Computer Management I see two things: System Reserved and (G) both say healthy( Primary Partition). One says (Active, Primary Partition) My issue is that I can not find any of my files to move. Infact the System Reserves (f) says empty when clicked on but shows that there is spaced used. The other local disk that comes up shows files but they all appear to be programs or files from the computer and not files and pictures that I have downloaded. Please help!

Samat

Distinguished
The files are propably in your user folder on the drive (\users\yourusername\, in there you should find folder for documents, pictures etc). You might need to take ownership of the files before you can access them.

Hi there popcornpals,

When in Disk Management, only these two partitions appear right? Is there some unallocated space?
If this is the case, I would say that you need to further explore G: as you will not find your data in the System Reserved partition. You can try what Samat suggested.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD