[SOLVED] Help with underperforming 6600xt

Aug 27, 2021
Hello, so I recently purchase a 6600xt and done a clean installation using DDU. After installing it I noticed that it isn't performing the way it should. I tested out a few games and the GPU and CPU are not being fully utilized. I'm getting low fps no matter if I run it at 720p or 1440p. For instance on Valorant I cannot get more than 140-150 fps on 1080p high settings. This card should be providing way more than that. I've tried changing graphics settings, making sure there was no vsync or anything on. I've ran multiple 3dmark tests and user benchmark tests and they all come back good like the card should be. The card rarely draws more than 50w the only way I was able to get it to full power was with a stress test.
I know that there is no malware/miners on this pc as I just built it less than a month ago and I make sure not to go to any random websites or download anything that is not from a legit source.
I'll attach an image of in game stats

Specs: Sapphire pulse 6600xt, Ryzen 2600x, EVGA G3 550, 16gb Ballistix 3200, 1tb crucial ssd.

View: https://imgur.com/BEYS6cd

Solution
Hello, so I recently purchase a 6600xt and done a clean installation using DDU. After installing it I noticed that it isn't performing the way it should. I tested out a few games and the GPU and CPU are not being fully utilized. I'm getting low fps no matter if I run it at 720p or 1440p. For instance on Valorant I cannot get more than 140-150 fps on 1080p high settings. This card should be providing way more than that. I've tried changing graphics settings, making sure there was no vsync or anything on. I've ran multiple 3dmark tests and user benchmark tests and they all come back good like the card should be. The card rarely draws more than 50w the only way I was able to get it to full power was with a stress test.
I know that...

elbubsio

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
I have an almost identical setup to you, and I'm also getting problems with my new 6600XT. It seems fine in games for me, but has problems rendering in blender. I'm hoping it's just buggy drivers as there's only a non WHQL set available atm. If I find out any more, I'll let you know and would appreciate it if you could do the same 🆒

Reactions: spentshells
Aug 27, 2021
I have an almost identical setup to you, and I'm also getting problems with my new 6600XT. It seems fine in games for me, but has problems rendering in blender. I'm hoping it's just buggy drivers as there's only a non WHQL set available atm. If I find out any more, I'll let you know and would appreciate it if you could do the same 🆒
Would an older driver for say the 6700xt work with this card? I found this one on amd's site . Adrenalin 21.6.1 Recommended (WHQL)

I know that there is no malware/miners on this pc as I just built it less than a month ago and I make sure not to go to any random websites or download anything that is not from a legit source.
I'll attach an image of in game stats

Specs: Sapphire pulse 6600xt, Ryzen 2600x, EVGA G3 550, 16gb Ballistix 3200, 1tb crucial ssd.

View: https://imgur.com/BEYS6cd

Your CPU sets your maximum frame rate, not your GPU.

Your Ryzen 2600x is not a very good CPU for high frame rates; it has low clock speeds and low IPC. (This issue exists regardless of what your CPU utilization is). If you want to push your frame rate higher than it is now, you should upgrade your CPU to a Ryzen 5600x.

Reactions: spentshells
Solution

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
I have the exact same problem , xfx merc 308 rx 6600xt with a ryzen 5 2600 and im getting between 100 - 180 fps, this is so disappointing and i don't know what to do.

Aug 27, 2021
I have the exact same problem , xfx merc 308 rx 6600xt with a ryzen 5 2600 and im getting between 100 - 180 fps, this is so disappointing and i don't know what to do.
Mine is working fine now. I only get "low" fps in valorant and by low I mean 150fps range. I have been playing Cyberpunk at 1080 hig/med settings getting between 80-110fps with the crowd density on low. If i up the density to high it drops to 60-80fps. I just played around with my settings, ran some 3dmark tests and was able to get it optimized for my set up. These CPU's are on the lower end, but they can push this card fine in most cases.

Aug 27, 2021
what helped? i havent been able to crack 200 fps in valorant so far
For Valorant, nothing has helped. Other games run fine though. I think the CPU is what is holding us back in valorant. You could overclock your 2600 a little but I honestly don't think it's going to help much. I have the 2600x which is just a oc'd 2600 and its basically the same.

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
check my thread for update, it was a bottleneck it seems. i now have a 5600x with a pcie 4.0 enabled mobo and smart access memory on. This allows me to average around 350-400 on everything near maxed at 1440p resolution. only occasional dips into high 200s on the very lows.