Question Help with understanding PassMark MemTest 86

Well, its not really a faster way of checking, but it worked out in this case.
Normally, you run the test with all the memory installed to see if you have any issues. If you start getting errors then you test the sticks individually, if not then you are done.
However, you then have to check each stick to see which ones erroring out.

In this case, you have confirmed that one stick has failed. You should still run the other 3 sticks one by one.

Reactions: Grobe
Sep 13, 2022
I will do that. The only problem is that it is taking over 2.5 hours to scan 1 stick. I will update this thread with my findings
Well, its not really a faster way of checking, but it worked out in this case.
Normally, you run the test with all the memory installed to see if you have any issues. If you start getting errors then you test the sticks individually, if not then you are done.
However, you then have to check each stick to see which ones erroring out.

In this case, you have confirmed that one stick has failed. You should still run the other 3 sticks one by one.

Memory Stick 1 was plugged into slot 1 and failed

I removed memory stick 1

I plugged memory stick 2 into slot 2 and am running the memory test now. I will post the results

If memory stick 2 passes in both slot 1 and slot 2 AND memory stick 1 fails while plugged into slot 2 then I'v got bad memory

if memory stick 2 passes in slot 2 and fails in slot 1 then i'v got a bad motherboard

does this troubleshooting logic make sense to everyone?

The only successful test is the one with all sticks inserted resulting in NO errors.

If you get a failure, you switch to problem determination mode.

Test one stick in the slot the motherboard recommended for a single stick.
If any stick shows an error, plan on returning the whole kit for replacement.
Ram usually has a lifetime warranty.

Did you buy a single matched kit?
Or 4 different sticks of the same part number?
Ram must be factory matched from one kit to perform properly.

If all 4 sticks are from the same kit and individually they test out, then you could have a motherboard problem or a bent cpu socket pin issue.

Sep 13, 2022
The only successful test is the one with all sticks inserted resulting in NO errors.

If you get a failure, you switch to problem determination mode.

Test one stick in the slot the motherboard recommended for a single stick.
If any stick shows an error, plan on returning the whole kit for replacement.
Ram usually has a lifetime warranty.

Did you buy a single matched kit?
Or 4 different sticks of the same part number?
Ram must be factory matched from one kit to perform properly.

If all 4 sticks are from the same kit and individually they test out, then you could have a motherboard problem or a bent cpu socket pin issue.

you are correct. However I am trying to determine if I need to replace my memory or my motherboard.

my results so far:
memory stick 1 failed in slot 1
memory stick 2 failed in slot 2
memory stick 3 passed in slot 1

current test:
memory stick 3 in slot 2

If my logic is sound and memory stick 3 passes in slot 2 then my motherboard is functioning normally and my memory is faulty.

My memory does not come with a lifetime warranty. I must submit an RMA before October 6 according to the site. Plenty of time.

I still have my old memory from my previous computer that should work and that should suffice until my RMA is complete.

Yes, the memory I purchased came in a single matched kit. I was a little miffed at how poorly it was packaged for shipment. It was most likely damaged during shipment

Sep 13, 2022
if you get error during test, it means it failed, no need to finish all four passes

disable XMP and retest, if it produces errors without XMP it means you need to replace RAM, if it fails just with XMP, then reduce ram clock until stable

I have not heard of XMP. I will check the BIOS and see what I find

Sep 13, 2022
My computer started BSOD'ing so I ran PassMark MemTest. Before I ran the test I removed 3 out of 4 memory sticks. I figured that scanning 1/4th of my memory 4 times would be faster than scanning all of it 1 time. At least I could possibly find the error faster. Here are the errors showing up with only 1 mem stick in the motherboard

View: https://imgur.com/a/NSEtuqt

Results:
2 memory sticks failed repeatedly, regardless of which memory port they were plugged into
2 memory sticks passes repeatedly, regardless of which memory port they were plugged into
Motherboard is working fine with no issues
Memory has been sent back to the manufacturer for a replacement