[SOLVED] Help with undervolting? (i7-8700)

Jun 24, 2020
Hey, I have an MSI B360 Aegis 3 8, and these are my specs

CPU: i7-8700
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
Ram: 16GB
(I'm not exactly sure which other stuff I should add to the list?)

When playing bigger games my CPU temps stay in between 82 - 88 celsius (with spikes to 91 sometimes). That's too high... right?

I looked some stuff up, and came across multiple people saying "undervolting" is the way to go. I just don't really know much about it. I installed ThrottleStop and followed a guide. I have a couple of questions about it:

Well first of all, is undervolting something I should be doing? And if so is ThrottleStop a good program to use?

Right now my offset voltage for CPU Core and CPU Cache are set to -135,7 mV. Is that good? Can I keep it that way? Or is it way too high. I had it on -140,1 and my computer crashed when idle, so now I've lowered it. And should I change the Intel GPU offset voltage, if so what to? Or just leave that as it is?

I also saw someone saying I could lower my Turbo Ratio Limits, is that useful, or no?

And then the last 2 questions, should I turn Speed Shift - EPP on or off? And if on, what value should I use?

I don't know too much about all this stuff, so I thought I'd come here for some clarity. Thank you for whoever can help me out!!!

Last edited:
Solution
If using the Intel provided cooler, mid-80C range is likely a fact of life...

I'd look for a Mugen5 if on a budget ($49?), or a Noctua NH-D15 if your case is wide enough to support a tall 165+mm tower sink...