Question Help with updating BIOS on Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 rev. 1 ?

Mar 7, 2024
Hello all,

Brand new to the forum and looking for some help. I hope I can be as coherent as possible since a lot of this seems to be a bit over my head. I know how to build and look at specs and figure out what goes with what, but when it comes to BIOS and tweaking anything in there I get very lost.

I will provide a bit of back story to help everyone understand what I have been doing and experiencing in the past two'ish months.

I purchased a new kit of RAM to get me up to 32GBs in my rig. I figured out there is an XMP option to enable to boost the RAM, so I enabled it. Everything was running fine.

Around this time I decided to update my BIOS to get it a bit more up to par. Everything went well, BIOS installed nothing wrong. I got my BIOS to F52i.

At the end of January my system started to blue screen very heavily over and over again. My friend and I were trying to figure it out, we were googling the errors. Some came back as missing files or corrupted files and some others were pointing to RAM. Long story short I decided to reinstall Windows (probably for the better its been several years since I have did a clean install).

Reinstalled Windows and started to get blue screens yet again. At this point my friend and I are at a loss. I decided to shut down and reset all of my RAM sticks. Power back on, blue screens disappeared. The RAM sticks must not have been seated properly when I installed them. Ok, so huge problem fixed, everything has been working since, no issues at all. I enabled XMP again, XMP is working just fine, no issues.

I decided to upgrade my current CPU (2700x) to a 5800x3D. In my mind I am good to go, BIOS is updated, my system is stable everything is running smoothly.

A few days ago I decided to update my BIOS to the latest before installing the 5800x3D just so it is 100% up to date and F52i apparently had a CPU vulnerability, so perfect time to get the update installed.

I go back into my BIOS ready to install the latest version of BIOS and I see that my BIOS had reverted to F31. This confuses me because I had updated successfully to F52i within the past two'ish months, why did my BIOS revert back?

I go back to the motherboard site and double check what I need to do in order to get BIOS updated correctly. There is a EC FW Update Tool B19.0606.1 or later version I need to install, so I install it on the fresh Windows install. I go back into BIOS after I install this EC FW Update Tool B19.0606.1 and notice that my BIOS is now back to F52i. Now I am very confused.

I go ahead and install the newest BIOS, F52. Everything works, I double check BIOS, its reading the F52, enable XMP again. Double check everything in Windows, its reading the XMP, system is running smoothly, no issues.

I installed the 5800x3D today, everything went well, no issues. System is running, Windows recognizes the CPU and XMP profile, games running smooth, web pages, apps. No issues.

It seems that the EC FW Update Tool B19.0606.1 needs to be installed before moving to a newer BIOS version in order for the motherboard to have a 5800x3D installed. Ok, no issues there I can do that; however, if I happen (hopefully I do not have any issues again where I need to reinstall Windows, but stuff happens) to reinstall Windows again the EC FW Update Tool B19.0606.1 would be wiped from the drive since it seems to be a software based tool and I feel that BIOS will revert, yet again, back to F31 making my 5800x3D not functional until I install the EC FW Update Tool B19.0606.1 within Windows. I would imagine my system wouldn't even boot or load into Windows for me to install the EC FW Update Tool.

So here is my concern/question, how do I fix this issue so if I reinstall Windows I will not have to install the EC FW Update Tool again and BIOS just stays at the current version so I can run my 5800x3D from a fresh Windows install?

Here is a list of my hardware to help.

• Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x)
  • Ryzen 5800x3D
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (4 sticks)
  • MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Gaming X Slim
  • Samsung EVO 870 SSD's (256gb & 1TB)
If you made it this far I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read through my confusing story. I will check this thread often for any suggestions, inputs or questions some of you may have for me. To me this doesn't seem like an easy fix, but for others I'm sure you'll be shaking your head knowing I missed something easy HAHAHA.

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: 35below0
Don´t mind, the EC FW tool actually is an update like a BIOS update, it updates a chip´s firmware and will remain there even if reinstalling windows.

The BIOS update itself should be done like:
update BIOS in BIOS itself
after successfully updating the bios RESET the BIOS by jumper on the motherboard while powered off

The problem in your case is the dual BIOS backup feature
if the BIOS can´t post or crashes several times, the backup BIOS will be enabled.
Try updating the backup BIOS as well. But if the current BIOS runs flawlessly, you don´t have to worry much.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your MoBo has Dual-BIOS, meaning two BIOS chips, where one is main BIOS (that you can update) and another is redundancy, if something happens with main BIOS. This also explains why you saw BIOS version to revert back to earlier version, while in fact, you were using 2nd BIOS the MoBo has.

GIGABYTE Patented DualBIOS™ (UEFI) Design

GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ motherboards feature GIGABYTE DualBIOS™, an exclusive technology from GIGABYTE that protects arguably one of your PC's most crucial components, the BIOS. GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ means that your motherboard has both a 'Main BIOS' and a 'Backup BIOS', protecting users from BIOS failure due to virus, hardware malfunction, improper OC settings or power failure during the update process.
Mobo specs: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x#kf

Sadly, holy bible of PCs doesn't say a word about how you can switch between two BIOSes. Also, there isn't any BIOS switch on the MoBo itself, to switch between the two.

At this point, i suggest that you contact Gigabyte and ask how to switch between two BIOSes, since if MoBo decides to switch to backup BIOS (for whatever reason) and that is older version, which doesn't support Ryzen 5000-series CPUs, then you're screwed.
So, what you need, is a reliable way to switch between BIOSes, so that the main (newer) BIOS is loaded on every power up, and not the backup one. And to also update backup BIOS to newer version.
Though, what OS you have, doesn't actually interfere with BIOS. So, i don't think you'd loose access when you wipe your OS drive again.

Mar 7, 2024
Don´t mind, the EC FW tool actually is an update like a BIOS update, it updates a chip´s firmware and will remain there even if reinstalling windows.

The BIOS update itself should be done like:
update BIOS in BIOS itself
after successfully updating the bios RESET the BIOS by jumper on the motherboard while powered off

The problem in your case is the dual BIOS backup feature
if the BIOS can´t post or crashes several times, the backup BIOS will be enabled.
Try updating the backup BIOS as well. But if the current BIOS runs flawlessly, you don´t have to worry much.
Funny you bring up the dual BIOS because I was literally thinking this same thing while researching more. I think when I did my Windows reinstall something probably freaked out and BIOS booted into my backup BIOS.

I do not believe I have ever updated my back up BIOS. Not sure if I even know how to do that.

Right now my BIOS version is reading as F52, so it is saved, but so was F52i before my Windows reinstall. That’s why I’m so confused, why would a fresh Windows install revert my BIOS back to F31? That’s why I’m a bit concerned if I reinstall Windows again will my BIOS roll back again? It shouldn’t because they independed of each other. It’s just very odd.

Funny you bring up the dual BIOS because I was literally thinking this same thing while researching more. I think when I did my Windows reinstall something probably freaked out and BIOS booted into my backup BIOS.

I do not believe I have ever updated my back up BIOS. Not sure if I even know how to do that.

Right now my BIOS version is reading as F52, so it is saved, but so was F52i before my Windows reinstall. That’s why I’m so confused, why would a fresh Windows install revert my BIOS back to F31? That’s why I’m a bit concerned if I reinstall Windows again will my BIOS roll back again? It shouldn’t because they independed of each other. It’s just very odd.
Not entirely sure about that MB but in another Gigabyte MB it was F11 that made spare BIOS to be same as main one. Must be somewhere in the manual.
Windows will boot only to BIOS which is activated during POST.

why would a fresh Windows install revert my BIOS back to F31? That’s why I’m a bit concerned if I reinstall Windows again will my BIOS roll back again? It shouldn’t because they independed of each other. It’s just very odd.
Probably the version was backflashed while the bios couldn´t post with the RAM or the bios version was not current because the settings weren´t reset. windows wasn´t and can´t be involved in this ;)

Mar 7, 2024
Your MoBo has Dual-BIOS, meaning two BIOS chips, where one is main BIOS (that you can update) and another is redundancy, if something happens with main BIOS. This also explains why you saw BIOS version to revert back to earlier version, while in fact, you were using 2nd BIOS the MoBo has.

Mobo specs: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x#kf

Sadly, holy bible of PCs doesn't say a word about how you can switch between two BIOSes. Also, there isn't any BIOS switch on the MoBo itself, to switch between the two.

At this point, i suggest that you contact Gigabyte and ask how to switch between two BIOSes, since if MoBo decides to switch to backup BIOS (for whatever reason) and that is older version, which doesn't support Ryzen 5000-series CPUs, then you're screwed.
So, what you need, is a reliable way to switch between BIOSes, so that the main (newer) BIOS is loaded on every power up, and not the backup one. And to also update backup BIOS to newer version.
Though, what OS you have, doesn't actually interfere with BIOS. So, i don't think you'd loose access when you wipe your OS drive again.

Wow, thank you so much for your insight. This totally makes sense.

Another question. If for whatever reason my BIOS loads up to an older version with the 5800x3D installed, would that ruin my chip or cause any hardware failure?

I still have my 2700x, so if something does happen, I could always drop that chip in and get BIOS back up to date, very painful process but I have that work around available.

Something must have happened to my hardware during my windows install to have it revert or use the backup BIOS. It was just odd that when I did the EC FW Update tool, all of a sudden I was on the BIOS version I had updated recently.

Mar 7, 2024
Probably the version was backflashed while the bios couldn´t post with the RAM or the bios version was not current because the settings weren´t reset. windows wasn´t and can´t be involved in this ;)
Yup, totally makes sense.

That’s why I was scratching my head in confusion. Doesn’t make sense why my BIOS would fall back to an older BIOS version with a Windows install.

I greatly appreciate your input.

Mar 7, 2024
Not entirely sure about that MB but in another Gigabyte MB it was F11 that made spare BIOS to be same as main one. Must be somewhere in the manual.
Windows will boot only to BIOS which is activated during POST.

Yeah I really think there is something going on with the dual BIOS chip I have.

I have to figure out how to flash both BIOS to the most up to date version so if something happens it’ll use the same version regardless of the BIOS chip it tries to use.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Another question. If for whatever reason my BIOS loads up to an older version with the 5800x3D installed, would that ruin my chip or cause any hardware failure?
No hardware damage what-so-ever.

F52 is the latest, which fixes CPU security vulnerability.
F52i is one step older, without the vulnerability fix.
F52h is two steps older, it bought R7 5800X3D compatibility to MoBo.
F52e is three steps older, it does not support R7 5800X3D.

So, as long as your backup BIOS is F52h or newer, your R7 5800X3D still works.
But if backup BIOS is F52e or older, PC just won't POST and doesn't show any image on screen.

MoBo BIOS versions: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Something must have happened to my hardware during my windows install to have it revert or use the backup BIOS. It was just odd that when I did the EC FW Update tool, all of a sudden I was on the BIOS version I had updated recently.
There are many reasons why MoBo reverts to backup BIOS, according to Gigabyte (i quoted it). My best guess out of all the reasons, is unstable OC settings you did within BIOS. Probably the XMP profile.

I have to figure out how to flash both BIOS to the most up to date version so if something happens it’ll use the same version regardless of the BIOS chip it tries to use.
MoBo manual didn't say a word how to switch between BIOSes. So, best to contact Gigabyte and ask how to do it. If it can be even done, that is.

Reactions: Korgster

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You flash "main" BIOS and than it copies it to secondary one.
There is no proof that it actually does that.

Dual-BIOS MoBos operate in 2 ways;
1. User is able to switch between two BIOSes and update both, individually.
2. User is unable to switch between two BIOSes, while being able to update only the main one. 2nd BIOS remains as read-only backup, without ever being able to be updated.

Since what you say is true, then how can you explain the fact, that when OP updated main BIOS to F52, at some point, OP saw BIOS reverting back to older F52i?
BIOS does not revert itself back to older version on a whim, instead, what OP saw (but didn't realize at that moment), was that their MoBo used the backup BIOS, which is older version.

Reactions: Korgster
There is no proof that it actually does that.

Dual-BIOS MoBos operate in 2 ways;
1. User is able to switch between two BIOSes and update both, individually.
2. User is unable to switch between two BIOSes, while being able to update only the main one. 2nd BIOS remains as read-only backup, without ever being able to be updated.

Since what you say is true, then how can you explain the fact, that when OP updated main BIOS to F52, at some point, OP saw BIOS reverting back to older F52i?
BIOS does not revert itself back to older version on a whim, instead, what OP saw (but didn't realize at that moment), was that their MoBo used the backup BIOS, which is older version.
I said I based it on my previous Gigabyte boards that had exactly what I described. Contacting Gigabyte is best option. It makes no sense not being able to update secondary BIOS.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It makes no sense not being able to update secondary BIOS.
It does actually.

On those dual-BIOS MoBos, where user can switch freely between BIOSes and update both, one essentially has 2 tries before MoBo is bricked. If 1st BIOS update fails and gets corrupted, user can use 2nd BIOS. But if that 2nd BIOS update also fails and gets corrupted, MoBo is bricked since it has two corrupt BIOSes.

Gigabyte way to actually disable updating 2nd BIOS doesn't brick the MoBo completely. Sure, corrupting 1st BIOS is still a possibility but keeping 2nd BIOS as read-only means that MoBo is still in operational state. Sure, you may not be able to use latest CPUs with the MoBo, since 2nd backup BIOS isn't new enough of a version, but you can still use the PC, if you downgrade your CPU to supported one.

Keep in mind that most MoBos have only one BIOS and if one screws up, there are no take backs. MAYBE you could get lucky if MoBo has feature to revert the BIOS update back to stable one and it succeeds, but this isn't common place.

If you have to update primary BIOS to accept another CPU and that one screws up, secondary BIOS would not be of any help and nothing would work.
Secondary BIOS is supposed to be a backup of primary that can be accessed internally and automatically unlike backup to a storage device. If not then it's practically useless. Settings including OEM defaults are saved in CMOS anyway and BOOTs from it, not directly from BIOS.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024
No hardware damage what-so-ever.

F52 is the latest, which fixes CPU security vulnerability.
F52i is one step older, without the vulnerability fix.
F52h is two steps older, it bought R7 5800X3D compatibility to MoBo.
F52e is three steps older, it does not support R7 5800X3D.

So, as long as your backup BIOS is F52h or newer, your R7 5800X3D still works.
But if backup BIOS is F52e or older, PC just won't POST and doesn't show any image on screen.

MoBo BIOS versions: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

There are many reasons why MoBo reverts to backup BIOS, according to Gigabyte (i quoted it). My best guess out of all the reasons, is unstable OC settings you did within BIOS. Probably the XMP profile.

MoBo manual didn't say a word how to switch between BIOSes. So, best to contact Gigabyte and ask how to do it. If it can be even done, that is.
Thank you for you replies.

I just messaged Gigabyte to see if there is a way to update the backup BIOS.

Mar 7, 2024
I said I based it on my previous Gigabyte boards that had exactly what I described. Contacting Gigabyte is best option. It makes no sense not being able to update secondary BIOS.
Hmmmm, i read that article you linked.

I guess I will have to go back into BIOS as if I’m going to flash it again and see if that “Also update back up BIOS” option is available. If so, theoretically that should update the backup BIOS to which ever version I’m flashing…

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I have noticed that Gigabyte doesn't advertise Dual UEFI(BIOS) so much anymore. A decade ago their lesser boards featured it, but nowadays it seems the company moved away from the concept. Perhaps they consider Qflash an alternative? I don't know if it can replace corrupt firmware but maybe it can.
Or maybe Gigabyte believe their GCC utility can update the firmware safely, straight from Windows?

At any rate, i don't know exactly how Gigabyte Dual UEFI works. I own one such board, so maybe i'll dig up the manual or check the UEFI itself.

What puzzles me is why Gigabyte moved away from Dual BIOS as a concept? Maybe it was a better idea in days before motherboards needed firmware updates to run new CPUs? As you guys have pointed out, a backup BIOS that cannot support a later CPU is as good as a corrupt BIOS.

Edit:
From the company blurb: "An exclusive Onboard BIOS Switcher is also included which allows users to easily switch between the motherboard's Dual UEFI BIOS ROMs. This makes it easier to switch between overclocking and regular BIOS settings and also to try a new BIOS revision without losing your original settings. An Onboard Clear CMOS buttons makes it easier than ever to reset your BIOS to its factory defaults. "
For the z77X-UD3H motherboard (Heh, marketing has changed a little bit in the decade since)

Further, from the manual: "Motherboards that support DualBIOS have two BIOS onboard, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS. Normally, the system works on the main BIOS. However, if the main BIOS is corrupted or damaged, the backup BIOS will take over on the next system boot and copy the BIOS file to the main BIOS to ensure normal system operation. For the sake of system safety, users cannot update the backup BIOS manually."

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024

Unexpectedly, i found the answer. An old post on the Gigabyte forum :)
There is an undocumented procedure that is used to force a copy of the Main BIOS to the backup BIOS ROM.
https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index...SID=e6cf57a8768d33ab18dbdb1d3454decf#msg72658

The keyboard shortcut may have changed since, and there is no guarantee this would work on a new Gigabyte board, but at least it *was* possible to keep an up to date copy of BIOS making it a true backup, rather than an outdated factory set BIOS.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The keyboard shortcut may have changed since, and there is no guarantee this would work on a new Gigabyte board, but at least it *was* possible to keep an up to date copy of BIOS making it a true backup, rather than an outdated factory set BIOS.
That was way back in 2012. It was, what... Intel Ivy Bridge era? And MoBo in question was Intel B75 chipset. Chances that same method would work on current AMD B350 chipset MoBo are slim to none. Nevertheless, we don't actually know it working, unless someone actually tries it.

Another thing is, if doing it would void the MoBo warranty. :unsure: Since if Gigabyte intended it not to be possible and user somehow figures out a way to do it, it is "user hack" and it will void the MoBo warranty.
Still, best to contact Gigabyte and ask them about it.

Mar 7, 2024
It does actually.

On those dual-BIOS MoBos, where user can switch freely between BIOSes and update both, one essentially has 2 tries before MoBo is bricked. If 1st BIOS update fails and gets corrupted, user can use 2nd BIOS. But if that 2nd BIOS update also fails and gets corrupted, MoBo is bricked since it has two corrupt BIOSes.

Gigabyte way to actually disable updating 2nd BIOS doesn't brick the MoBo completely. Sure, corrupting 1st BIOS is still a possibility but keeping 2nd BIOS as read-only means that MoBo is still in operational state. Sure, you may not be able to use latest CPUs with the MoBo, since 2nd backup BIOS isn't new enough of a version, but you can still use the PC, if you downgrade your CPU to supported one.

Keep in mind that most MoBos have only one BIOS and if one screws up, there are no take backs. MAYBE you could get lucky if MoBo has feature to revert the BIOS update back to stable one and it succeeds, but this isn't common place.
Another thing I just realized with my situation.

I purchased this motherboard back in 2018.

The BIOS version it reverted to here recently was a 2019 BIOS version, which was the F31. 🤔

So it seems that the backup BIOS can be flashed 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I have no clue how that happened.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Chances that same method would work on current AMD B350 chipset MoBo are slim to none.
Much greater than slim to none. Other BIOS keyboard commands have remained identical. In fact, these debug kind of shortcuts tend to remain unchanged forever. Perhaps they're even inherited from AMI, but that's a stretch. Whatever the case, even without display it's possible to boot to BIOS, restore factory defaults, and save & restart on Gigabyte boards going back to at least the early UEFI boards, and possibly further than that. Simply because the keyboard commands are still the same.
It's the chances of undocumented commands being different that are slim.

Another thing I just realized with my situation.

I purchased this motherboard back in 2018.

The BIOS version it reverted to here recently was a 2019 BIOS version, which was the F31. 🤔

So it seems that the backup BIOS can be flashed 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I have no clue how that happened.

Given Gigabyte has moved away from things like dedicated BIOS flip switches, and inconvenient ways of powering on motherboards with a backup BIOS, i would venture a guess that they've automated the backup system a lot.
This is only speculation but as sometimes a user is forced to flash BIOS to a certain version before flashing to a newer version than that one, it may be that flashing BIOS sometimes also causes the backup BIOS to be updated. Possibly Gigabyte or other vendor engineers decide that a backup BIOS should be no older than a certain BIOS version so the backup BIOS gets updated.
It would not make sense to roll back all the way to the beginning. It would not be a useful backup. At some point the backup must be updated to a know stable version, and it seems users aren't expected to have to do this these days. So Gigabyte and others must do it themselves.

That's the only way i can think of for your backup BIOS to be version F31.

Mar 7, 2024
Much greater than slim to none. Other BIOS keyboard commands have remained identical. In fact, these debug kind of shortcuts tend to remain unchanged forever. Perhaps they're even inherited from AMI, but that's a stretch. Whatever the case, even without display it's possible to boot to BIOS, restore factory defaults, and save & restart on Gigabyte boards going back to at least the early UEFI boards, and possibly further than that. Simply because the keyboard commands are still the same.

Given Gigabyte has moved away from things like dedicated BIOS flip switches, and inconvenient ways of powering on motherboards with a backup BIOS, i would venture a guess that they've automated the backup system a lot.
This is only speculation but as sometimes a user is forced to flash BIOS to a certain version before flashing to a newer version than that one, it may be that flashing BIOS sometimes also causes the backup BIOS to be updated. Possibly Gigabyte or other vendor engineers decide that a backup BIOS should be no older than a certain BIOS version so the backup BIOS gets updated.
It would not make sense to roll back all the way to the beginning. It would not be a useful backup. At some point the backup must be updated to a know stable version, and it seems users aren't expected to have to do this these days. So Gigabyte and others must do it themselves.

If I have sometime tonight I’m going to go back into BIOS to take a look at any options in there for a back up BIOS. See if things have changed or maybe a setting I missed.

Either way I have the 5800x3D installed and I don’t want to tinker too much and accidentally cause the BIOS to revert back to an older BIOS leaving me to install my 2700x again to get things back up to par 😬

Mar 7, 2024

Well I contacted Gigabyte and they said there’s no way to flash the backup BIOS, which has to be a lie because the backup BIOS has a new version of BIOS on it.

I pushed back on them, hopefully I’ll get somewhere with them.

Mar 7, 2024

And Gigabyte has lost me as a customer. Horrible customer service.

They told me that the back up BIOS can only be flashed by the manufacturer. So I replied that I bought this mobo in 2018 yet the back up BIOS has a 2019 BIOS on it so the backup had to be flashed somehow and there must be a way to do this without it being sent to them.

Their reply was

“Dear customer

You are free to keep replying back, but the answer will always be the same. It is not possible.

Regards

Gigabyte tech support team”

Shitty support imo.

Reactions: CountMike