Help with Upgrade Options Needed

m.trevor777

Prominent
Jun 9, 2018
Ok, it's about time I gave my PC a little love and some new components. Its been two years since I built it and it's just starting to struggle with graphicly intensive games across the board.

I'm seeing high but stuttering framer rates with games like gta v running in the high 60's and then plummeting to about 10 every 5 or 10 seconds.

The Specs are as follows :
Intel Core i5 4590
Gtx 960 2gb
2×4gb hyper x fury ddr3 RAM
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb ssd
Seagrave 2tb hard drive

I have about £350 to spend right now so obviously I can't do the whole thing. But I'm either looking at a new motherboard RAM and CPU totaling the full 350. Or a new graphics card which I could spend around 250 on. The problem I'm facing is I don't know which one needs to happen first. My CPU seems more outdated in my opinion but I don't thinK the 2gb VRAM on my 960 can cope with newer titles. I've studied CPU GPU and RAM usage carefully in afterburner but I still can't determine which one is causing the bottleneck.

What I'm looking for is for someone with good component knowlage to help me with what to upgrade first.

After some market research I have settled on a AMD Ryzen 7 1800x coupled with a reasonably priced motherboard (of which there are multiple options) and 8gb of hyper x fury ddr4 memory for the CPU route

And an upgrade to a Gtx 1070 for around £260 for the GPU route.

I am open to any suggestions regarding other component choices.

I think the main limiting factors are an outdated CPU and a lack of VRAM in the system but I could be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Marcus

m.trevor777

Prominent
Jun 9, 2018
Hi , thanks for your response. After a bit more research today and your response, I've pretty much decided to get a new gpu. I'll check my pcu size tomorrow I've completely forgotten what it is. However unless there's a great deal on black Friday I think the 1070 might be a bit too expensive for me right now. I'd assumed a 6gb 1060 wouldn't give me a massive performance boost but after looking at some benchmark scores it wiped the floor in all areas by about an 80% performance increase. I think i might get one of these for about £200 and trest myself to a new monitor!

TRENDING THREADS