[SOLVED] Help with upgrading gaming pc

Virus115

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Hello everyone, I am considering upgrading my gaming pc, but my knowledge about components don't go to far. I want my pc to be able to play AAA games both today and in the future. What components should I get? Don't worry about budget.

My current specs are:
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Tomahawk, Socket-1141
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake
Ram: HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16gb
PSU: Corsair RM750i, 750W
Fan: Akasa Vegas X7 RGB LED, 120mm
CPU cooler: Akasa AK-959CU

Solution
Hello everyone, I am considering upgrading my gaming pc, but my knowledge about components don't go to far. I want my pc to be able to play AAA games both today and in the future. What components should I get? Don't worry about budget.

My current specs are:
There's 2 ways to do this. You could update the motherboard bios and drop in an i7-7700k and a new video card, or you can make a new build. The 7th gen i7 is close to $500 on Amazon and a decent video card is about the same price, depending on the...

My current specs are:
There's 2 ways to do this. You could update the motherboard bios and drop in an i7-7700k and a new video card, or you can make a new build. The 7th gen i7 is close to $500 on Amazon and a decent video card is about the same price, depending on the games, resolution and settings you want. A new build for 1440p with a new monitor will easily run $1500-2000 or more. All depends on what you want to spend and if you want to keep your current system alive for a couple more years or build new. I don't think it's worth it to upgrade your current system with the price being charged for a new CPU. You could go for a used i7 but who knows what its previous life was like. A new build would be the way to go, IMO.

Last edited:
Solution

Virus115

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
There's 2 ways to do this. You could update the motherboard bios and drop in an i7-7700k and a new video card, or you can make a new build. The 7th gen i7 is close to $500 on Amazon and a decent video card is about the same price, depending on the games, resolution and settings you want. A new build for 1440p with a new monitor will easily run $1500-2000 or more. All depends on what you want to spend and if you want to keep your current system alive for a couple more years or build new. I don't think it's worth it to upgrade your current system with the price being charged for a new CPU. You could go for a used i7 but who knows what its previous life was like. A new build would be the way to go, IMO.

Thanks for answer, think I'll keep my current gaming pc, and when it don't work for what I wanna play I'll get a new build

i7-7700K is like $320, not $500. Still, that's 100% original price for a 3 year old CPU. Keep your eye out in the used channels (ebay/craigslist/etc). Maybe you find a deal.

Are you officially closing this thread by saying "I'll keep my current PC" then?

What do you have for storage? An SSD hopefully?

Virus115

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
i7-7700K is like $320, not $500. Still, that's 100% original price for a 3 year old CPU. Keep your eye out in the used channels (ebay/craigslist/etc). Maybe you find a deal.

Are you officially closing this thread by saying "I'll keep my current PC" then?

Not closing thread, still open to answers, interesting to know what you all have to answer, and I have Seagate Firecuda 1TB 3'5 SSHD

Ah, then an actual SSD would produce a noticeable improvement. (I own an SSHD also, so I know what they're like). It's not going to necessarily give you higher frame rates though. We're talking about general responsiveness and program and game level load times.

I gave the Amazon price because they have it in stock. I check that stuff on pcpartpicker.

Virus115

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Ah, then an actual SSD would produce a noticeable improvement. (I own an SSHD also, so I know what they're like). It's not going to necessarily give you higher frame rates though. We're talking about general responsiveness and program and game level load times.

Ahhh, I'll pick an SSD for my next build then

Virus115

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

Ahhh alright, I'll get that when I get a new build then