rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Ok so I feel a bit overwhelmed with what I should do... I also have additional stress from the thought of having to swap my hardware into a new case seeing as how I am kinda a noob when it comes to PC building (only built this PC).

What I want to do is to upgrade my GPU... however I have limited space as I have a mATX motherboard and case... Currently I have a EVGA GTX 1060 6gb SC and it fits well. I want to upgrade to a more relevant GPU (released in the last 1-3 years)... I want a GPU that is better able to reduce heat (my GPU only has 1 fan) by having an additional fan... the problem is that the size would increase. Above my GPU sits my CPU with a Cooler Mast Hyper 212 EVO which is pretty large.... Im worried abou the new GPU sitting too close to the heat sink. The other issue is my case .... My case is a mATX (bought it used then upgraded hardware but was unable to upgrade case at the time)...

The case only has 2 fans, not including the Hyper 212 fan, (1 intake and 1 outake) so the airflow is pretty poor in my opinion... My solution to this was to remove the side panel (the hyper 212 is so large that it is pretty close to touching the side panel) and direct a table fan for additional air being blow directly onto my gpu and cpu. This has worked effectively but obviously has its drawbacks (open to dust, open to something hitting the components, etc)....So considering these issues, I am starting to think that I should get a larger case but that would involve potentially upgrading my motherboard which I already upgraded less than a year ago. Anyone have experience with upgrading to a larger GPU with a mATX MB and mATX case? How was your air flow? I literally asked something similar earlier in the year which is funny because this has clearly been on my mind for some time.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Hello,

Please post your complete system specs (CPU, mobo, RAM, etc.). This will assist in selecting the appropriate components. Please include what case you have as well as the exact model of power supply. Also, your monitor's display resolution and refresh rate.

Thanks
Oh sorry,

Asus B550m-a
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb SC
Corsair RM650x PSU
Corsair 2x8gb DDR4 3200mhz
Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler
Samsung 250gb SSD
2tb HD

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Personally I would consider getting a new case which you can fit more cooling, I have two front fans and an exhaust and that can cool my entire setup easily. I doubt a new GPU will be able to increase cooling for your system, even if you get a GPU with 2 fans which should still fit, it has two fans because the GPU needs them itself. From where you are at I would suggest a 6650XT or a 3060 with 2 fan design. Those cards are quite short so it should easily fit in the space you have. If there is still problems thermally you might need to consider a larger case with more airflow. When buying cases too many people care about looks, airflow should be the priority otherwise you cause thermal problems and bottleneck performance.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Personally I would consider getting a new case which you can fit more cooling, I have two front fans and an exhaust and that can cool my entire setup easily. I doubt a new GPU will be able to increase cooling for your system, even if you get a GPU with 2 fans which should still fit, it has two fans because the GPU needs them itself. From where you are at I would suggest a 6650XT or a 3060 with 2 fan design. Those cards are quite short so it should easily fit in the space you have. If there is still problems thermally you might need to consider a larger case with more airflow. When buying cases too many people care about looks, airflow should be the priority otherwise you cause thermal problems and bottleneck performance.
Yea I wasn’t thinking the GPU would help to decrease my temperatures. I am just struggling to get a case and swap the hardware myself. I do want a case but this fear of <Mod Edit> the hardware up and not having the money to replace the broken hardware is what is preventing me. For the time being my temps never reach about 72cGPU and 65cCPU with my side panel removed so it works… I just don’t like it being exposed like this. Sorry if my response is all over the place. I’m at work and responding now because I might forget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Yea I wasn’t thinking the GPU would help to decrease my temperatures. I am just struggling to get a case and swap the hardware myself. I do want a case but this fear of <Mod Edit> the hardware up and not having the money to replace the broken hardware is what is preventing me. For the time being my temps never reach about 72cGPU and 65cCPU with my side panel removed so it works… I just don’t like it being exposed like this. Sorry if my response is all over the place. I’m at work and responding now because I might forget.

No worries, I can understand it is nerve wracking. I think if you prepare you will find it isn't as hard as you think. There are lots of good videos on Youtube to show you how to do things. The main worry I have had when building is to ensure you don't scrape the motherboard when you are putting in the case, that is easily avoidable as long as you are careful but I did know of someone who killed one once that way. Your temps seem pretty good if thats your Maximums so I wouldn't worry too much, I doubt a new GPU would massively increase those, maybe 1-2C but not much more.