Question Help With Upgrading My Prebuilt

Anonemus7

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016
Hi, everyone. Apologies if this isn't the right section of the forum to post this on, but as I have a couple of questions, I thought this would be best. I currently own an HP Omen Obelisk prebuilt computer. This is the computer I have. Here are my exact specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Motherboard: HP 84FD (U3E1) (Here is a link on HP's Website for further information on the motherboard)
Graphics: GTX 1060 3GB VRAM
PSU: HP 500W 80 Plus Bronze

I know that's not everything, but I thought it would be the most pertinent information, ask me if you need anything else. Anyway, I admittedly have never extensively upgraded a PC or built a PC before, the most I've done is add in new hard drives. I was wanting to upgrade my graphics card, as I'm starting to have trouble running a lot of games, especially due to the low VRAM. I was planning on perhaps getting an RTX 2060, either the regular or S version, as I have had multiple people confirm that the graphics card can fit in the computer. As I understand, I need a better power supply for this. What power supply should I get? And should that even be the graphics card I get? I'm very sorry if these are irritating questions, but as previously stated, I do not really know what I'm doing. I don't want to do anything that would mess up my computer, and I also want to make the best decisions possible to future proof the computer. Thank you in advance, and let me know if you need any more information.

Hi, everyone. Apologies if this isn't the right section of the forum to post this on, but as I have a couple of questions, I thought this would be best. I currently own an HP Omen Obelisk prebuilt computer. This is the computer I have. Here are my exact specs:

Motherboard: HP 84FD (U3E1) (Here is a link on HP's Website for further information on the motherboard)

I know that's not everything, but I thought it would be the most pertinent information, ask me if you need anything else. Anyway, I admittedly have never extensively upgraded a PC or built a PC before, the most I've done is add in new hard drives. I was wanting to upgrade my graphics card, as I'm starting to have trouble running a lot of games, especially due to the low VRAM. I was planning on perhaps getting an RTX 2060, either the regular or S version, as I have had multiple people confirm that the graphics card can fit in the computer. As I understand, I need a better power supply for this. What power supply should I get? And should that even be the graphics card I get? I'm very sorry if these are irritating questions, but as previously stated, I do not really know what I'm doing. I don't want to do anything that would mess up my computer, and I also want to make the best decisions possible to future proof the computer. Thank you in advance, and let me know if you need any more information.
I would recommend a 750w gold rated, and I would recommend a 2070 SC if you want to "future proof" in the slightest

How high up the gaming ladder you want to go and how fat your wallet is will determine what gpu to get.

Once that's settled then you can figure out what size psu you will need to support the machine.

Anonemus7

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016
How high up the gaming ladder you want to go and how fat your wallet is will determine what gpu to get.

Once that's settled then you can figure out what size psu you will need to support the machine.

I don't need the best graphics, while I do prefer high and ultra graphics, I can live with medium graphics. Normally my budget would be $400-$600, and while I'd still prefer to keep the costs around there, I can go up as high as $800. I understand that graphics card prices are still quite high in some places at the moment.

I don't need the best graphics, while I do prefer high and ultra graphics, I can live with medium graphics. Normally my budget would be $400-$600, and while I'd still prefer to keep the costs around there, I can go up as high as $800. I understand that graphics card prices are still quite high in some places at the moment.
The rtx 2060 is about 600 bucks.
If you need a psu add another 100 bucks

Can you take a photo of the label on the side of the PSU, upload it to www.imgur.com, then post the link here?

500w will be enough for a 2060 as long as it is of good quality and has enough pcie power connectors.
Never encourage someone to use minimal specs on hardware it in the long run will cause so much harm to the system... yes a 500w will power the system with a 2060... but at the cost of it constantly consuming so much power and ramping up so much to generate what it will need will fry the whole system faster. Always a recommened thing to get a slightly more powerful psu then what is suggested.

Never encourage someone to use minimal specs on hardware it in the long run will cause so much harm to the system... yes a 500w will power the system with a 2060... but at the cost of it constantly consuming so much power and ramping up so much to generate what it will need will fry the whole system faster. Always a recommened thing to get a slightly more powerful psu then what is suggested.
Simply untrue.
As long as it is decent quality, running a 2060+8700 on a 500w PSU will not fry anything nor will it cause any extra power consumption.

What he is saying isn't what I am disagreeing about.

A 2060+8700 wont be running a 500w at or past max capacity.

At worst, the total system might be 350-400w tops which would bring the psu near peak efficiency.

Even then, psus using modern designs will have a very flat efficiency curve. You might lose 2-3% efficiency going from peak efficiency to to max capacity.

What he is saying isn't what I am disagreeing about.

A 2060+8700 wont be running a 500w at or past max capacity.

At worst, the total system might be 350-400w tops which would bring the psu near peak efficiency.

Even then, psus using modern designs will have a very flat efficiency curve. You might lose 2-3% efficiency going from peak efficiency to to max capacity.
Although this maybe be true like he said in the statement even if it isn't running at constant max wattage it's recommended a 450w be powered by 550w to 650w. The reason being even 80% efficiency rating a 500w psu is only technically a 450w. So you a literally pushing your limits and 100% not getting max proformance from your card since it has no turbo room

Although this maybe be true like he said in the statement even if it isn't running at constant max wattage it's recommended a 450w be powered by 550w to 650w. The reason being even 80% efficiency rating a 500w psu is only technically a 450w. So you a literally pushing your limits and 100% not getting max proformance from your card since it has no turbo room
Sorry new phone screen casting auto correct hates me on my phones

You're forgetting this is an HP system, so using just any ATX power supply may not work. The first thing he has to do is determine if a PSU upgrade is even possible.
The pin out in the omen series are the same as normal atx systems is the hp specific servers and random out of the side gates here's a specialty tower.... is when he gets into their dark arts of you need this psu or this psu

TRENDING THREADS