Question Help with upgrading please.

Apr 5, 2019
Hi there, apologies if this the wrong thread, I just need some advice regarding upgrading my gaming pc.
I currently have a GTX1050ti, i5 7500, 16gb ram but only a hdd drive. Would my first step be to purchase an ssd drive?
Many thanks for reading and any advice you can offer.

Mar 31, 2019
Hello,
Your first Priority should be your core components like your motherboad, cpu and gpu. After these you can look for any peripherals you want to upgrade and you can wait for a sale to buy them and add them to your system later on. It seems your 1050ti is outdated and you need a new gpu for a start. A 1660 ti from nvidia will be a good choice but there are also other VFM cheaper choices like the RX 580 8gb. It is upto you if you want to build a system for only gaming or multitasking also. It would be better if you could give a full description of your current system also including your monitor and what resolution you play at. Then only i will be truly be able to help you out. If you want to go for a cpu, a best amd cpu will be the ryzen 5 2600 or a i5 8400 for a mid range build and will compliment your rx 580 or the 1660 ti. For the motherboard you can go for something which is cheaper(if you dont plan on overclocking your cpu or sli and crossfire your gpus)and is from Asus. Asus is my personal favorite when it comes to hardware. I have suggested the above components as per taking a guess about your budget, if your budget is higher then i can suggest better components.

Apr 5, 2019
Hi MightyMustachios! Thank you for your speedy response. You were quick to catch in L4d2 too! Anyway to business...

The PC is purely for gaming and its Windows 10pro.

Embarrassingly enough, I'm currently playing on a 32 inch hd tv 1280x768 (I would also seek counsel on this abomination).

The motherboard is Gigabyte Technology, Model Number H110M-DS2

Mid-range budget.

Is it possible to post a screenshot of my specs in more detail here?

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it and I will buy and drink a beer for you.

Mar 31, 2019
Well your motherboard is very old and it supports 7th gen intel cpu. You need to change your mobo and cpu both at the same time. The gpu and other components can wait if you are short on cash now. So you want a mid range budget pc and you want it for gaming only. Then i will suggest you go for intel 8th gen processor which is a i5 8400 and Asus Prime H310M-K mobo will do for your build. Whichever you can find for the cheapest rate in your country. Observing current pc hardware market i would suggest you that you always target the vfm components and not be a fan boy of any particular brand because you will be upgrading after 2-3 years anyways. Now lets get to your gpu. You can either choose nvidia gpus which can never go wrong or you can choose from radeon gpus which are cheaper than nvidia and can deliver similar power but also come with a few instabilities. But imo i think both brands are good at their own places. You go team green and enjoy carefree gaming but have to pay more money or you can go team red and spend less money, get a freesync monitor which will help you in your gaming endeavors but also come with minimal driver issues.
Nvidia best mid range choices you have:
Gtx 1660ti(VFM) i would go with this baby
Gtx 1060
I will not suggest you a rtx nvidia gpu because i don't see a point buying a gpu for some technology which is brand new and needs more research.

Amd Radeon Best choices:
Aorus Rx 580 8gb (i use this one)
Gigabyte Rx 580 8gb
Sapphire Rx 580 8gb
Rx 570 (only if you are short on money)
Or wait for Navi.
Now lets come to you monitor, i would purchase a freesync monitor of i were you, and ips monitor will be great and if are a competitive gamer and play lots of fps games then a TN panel would be great.

Monitor choices:
Acer KG271 (VFM, TN panel, Fast response time, freesync)
Dell SE2717H (VFM, i use this, IPS panel, stunning picture quality, freesync)
Both of the above monitors have a refresh rate of 75hz which is awesome for a mid range build.
Now lets come to RAM sticks, go for the gskill ripjaws V 2400mhz ddr4 rams, now you need 2 sticks of ram and you need install them in dual channel. 16 gb of ram in total. You can add one stick and buy another whenever you have the money but i would suggest you buy them now because RAM prices are low atm.
I think this much of upgrade will do for now only if you have a working 550 W or 650 W psu and hdd. Ssd is not important atm but you always wait for sale and buy them when they are cheap.
If you can upload a screenshot of your specs it would be great. Or upload it somewhere and put the link here.
And i dont like beer, drink a Jack Daniels for me lol.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS