[SOLVED] Help with usb 3.0 pcie card

ryanreppinb9

Honorable
Oct 20, 2017
So I have a 4 port usb 3.0 pcie card in my pc. its powered by Molex and it powers the light on my mouse pad, but that's about all it can manage. I tried using it to power my capture card or even just the micro usb cable I use to charge my phone but neither of them worked. I believe I have the right drivers, however I got the card from a friend and it had no obvious branding so I cant be sure.

can anyone offer any insight as to what's wrong with it.

Solution
Your USB 3.0 card has 4 ports so the each port only provides a certain amount of power (probably 500mA), many times it's not enough of power to drive a capture card or charge your phone (most modern phones require at least 1A of current or they don't even bother starting to charge).

You can check your USB port's voltage/current using an USB Power Meter like this

61cO1Dr-p-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Your USB 3.0 card has 4 ports so the each port only provides a certain amount of power (probably 500mA), many times it's not enough of power to drive a capture card or charge your phone (most modern phones require at least 1A of current or they don't even bother starting to charge).

You can check your USB port's voltage/current using an USB Power Meter like this

61cO1Dr-p-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
IF the card really is designed and built to meet the full USB3.x strandard, EACH of its ports should be able to provide up to 0.9 A (900 mA) current. That's why it requires a power feed from a Molex PSU output. Are you sure that connection by Molex is working properly? But then you say it's an unbranded unknown card, so it is impossible to tell if it really does meet USB3 standards.

IF the card really is designed and built to meet the full USB3.x strandard, EACH of its ports should be able to provide up to 0.9 A (900 mA) current. That's why it requires a power feed from a Molex PSU output. Are you sure that connection by Molex is working properly? But then you say it's an unbranded unknown card, so it is impossible to tell if it really does meet USB3 standards.

I have a SATA DVD player that require 2.4A for the 12V, so using a wall adapter is a must.

HDDs have different requirements for 12V depending on the capacity, some need up to 1.5A.

Most of my 1TB HDDs need 0.8A for 12V and generally 0.5A for 5V. The 5V can be supplied by the adapter itself without problem.

Anyway if your USB 3 to SATA has a 12V socket then you know it won't provide full 12V internally. You can use any 12V wall adapter with 1.5A or higher with the same connector diameter, you don't have to buy one from overseas.

TRENDING THREADS