Help with USB to SATA cable not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

calster804

Honorable
Jul 25, 2018
Hi
So I have got a ugreen SATA to usb cable as I just bought a Kingston 128GB SSD. The problem is that my curent pc (Alienware alpha) has only one SATA slot and I want to keep my 1TB hard drive so I can’t put it there and I won’t have the money to buy my own custom pc until like a year. When I plug the cable into the pc with the SSD at the other end it dose not show up as a usb drive. It shows up in device manager as a drive but I can’t read or write to it. Anyone know what’s wrong?
I’m new to pc’s so I have no clue about drive formatting or anything like that
The drive is completely new with no data ever being written or read from it

Thanks

calster804, If it's in Device Manager, then the system is at least recognizing it on some level, which is a good start. Have you tried opening disk management? If the drive is seen there, you can format it which will allow you to set a drive letter and so forth. If not, then you need to get that to happen. Here's a useful page on steps to troubleshoot this that might help you

Dynamic no b/c: When you change a basic disk to dynamic, you can create volumes that span multiple disks (spanned and striped volumes). Dynamic volumes can be used in most but not all situations. Basic disks support only primary partitions, extended partitions, and logical drives.

GPT yes: What Do GPT and MBR Do?
MBR (Master Boot Record) and GPT (GUID Partition Table) are two different ways of storing the partitioning information on a drive. This information includes where partitions start and begin, so your operating system knows which sectors belong to each partition and which partition is bootable. This is why you have to choose MBR or GPT before creating partitions on a drive.

MBR’s Limitations
MBR standards for Master Boot Record. It was introduced with IBM PC DOS 2.0 in 1983.

It’s called Master Boot Record because the MBR is a special boot sector located at the beginning of a drive. This sector contains a boot loader for the installed operating system and information about the drive’s logical partitions. The boot loader is a small bit of code that generally loads the larger boot loader from another partition on a drive. If you have Windows installed, the initial bits of the Windows boot loader reside here — that’s why you may have torepair your MBR if it’s overwritten and Windows won’t boot. If you have Linux installed, the GRUB boot loader will typically be located in the MBR.

MBR works with disks up to 2 TB in size, but it can’t handle disks with more than 2 TB of space. MBR also only supports up to four primary partitions — if you want more, you have to make one of your primary partitions an “extended partition” and create logical partitions inside it. This is a silly little hack and shouldn’t be necessary.

MBR became the industry standard everyone used for partitioning and booting from disks. Developers have been piling on hacks like extended partitions ever since.

GPT’s Advantages
GPT stands for GUID Partition Table. It’s a new standard that’s gradually replacing MBR. It’s associated with UEFI — UEFI replaces the clunky old BIOS with something more modern, and GPT replaces the clunky old MBR partitioning system with something more modern. It’s called GUID Partition Table because every partition on your drive has a “globally unique identifier,” or GUID — a random string so long that every GPT partition on earth likely has its own unique identifier.

This system doesn’t have MBR’s limits. Drives can be much, much larger and size limits will depend on the operating system and its file systems. GPT allows for a nearly unlimited amount of partitions, and the limit here will be your operating system — Windows allows up to 128 partitions on a GPT drive, and you don’t have to create an extended partition.

On an MBR disk, the partitioning and boot data is stored in one place. If this data is overwritten or corrupted, you’re in trouble. In contrast, GPT stores multiple copies of this data across the disk, so it’s much more robust and can recover if the data is correupted. GPT also stores cyclic redundancy check (CRC) values to check that its data is intact — if the data is corrupted, GPT can notice the problem and attempt to recover the damaged data from another location on the disk. MBR had no way of knowing if its data was corrupted — you’d only see there was a problem when the boot process failed or your drive’s partitions vanished.

Status
Not open for further replies.